Author Topic: Minutes of the meeting held on 14th January 2019  (Read 445 times)

midweb

  • Administrator
  • Jr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Minutes of the meeting held on 14th January 2019
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of the meeting held on 14th January 2019
, Stirchley Community Church
Present:   70: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Members of the Forumís management committee, Cllr Locke
Apologies:   02
Peter Walker took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on 10th December 2018 were circulated and agreed as a true record.
Matters arising    
There were no matters arising from the minutes.   
Camp Hill train line
Gavin Smith, of the West Midlands Rail Executive, outlined plans to rebuild 3 stations and restore local passenger services on the Camp Hill line. The line is currently used for freight and long distance passenger services to the south west and Wales. The 3 new stations will be at Hazelwell (top of Cartland Road), Kings Heath and Moseley; these are the same locations as the original stations which were closed in 1941 as a wartime economy measure. Nothing remains of these stations today. Mick Jones showed some photos of the original stations by local photographer DJ Norton.
Funding for the project is through the HS2 Connectivity Fund, overseen by West Midlands mayor Andy Street; this funding is to ensure local communities in the West Midlands are able to access the new high speed services at Curzon Street in the city centre. There is widespread public and political support for the project and it is underpinned by a sound business case.   
The station at Hazelwell will have 2 platforms, weatherproof canopies (though not as ornate as the originals), access by stair or lifts (not ramped as originally) and self-service ticket machines; the stations will not be staffed. There will be passive provision (services and space) for a building if required in the future.
All 3 stations are being designed for passengers arriving on foot, by bike or other public transport; there will be no car parks and only a very limited drop-off point at Hazelwell and Moseley stations. Gavin emphasised these will be local stations for local people.
Traffic congestion and parking were the biggest concerns raised at the public consultation events; Gavin acknowledged there were particular concerns around Hazelwell station as the junction between Cartland and Pineapple Roads is an accident blackspot; TFWM is working closely with BCC and local community groups to address these risks. One outcome of the new station should be a reduction in people driving to Bournville station; transport modelling suggests 300K passenger journeys per annum from Hazelwell station.
Train services are planned to start in late 2021/early 2022; initially there will be 2 trains per hour, operating as a shuttle service between Kings Norton and New Street stations. Capacity at New Street is already stretched; introducing the new services needs careful planning with Network Rail and West Midlands Railway to ensure it does not impact negatively on existing services.
The service will be provided by West Midlands Railway using new diesel units that are currently on order from Spanish company CAF; these will be 4 car units of a type already used by Northern Rail. There are no plans in the short or medium term to electrify the line.
Gavin then opened the floor to questions.
There will be an opportunity to comment on the transport assessment for Hazelwell as part of the planning application process for the new station.
Services are currently planned to end at Kings Norton, or possibly further if required to turn trains around. It is not possible to run services to Moor Street as the rail lines do not link up. In the long term (2030s) there are plans to build a new line, the Bordesley Chords, to connect the Camp Hill line to Moor Street station and permit increased service frequency.   
The bathroom store on Cartland Road will be demolished to make way for the new station entrance; discussions are currently underway with the owners. Gavin will arrange to meet with the owners of adjacent residential properties to discuss the impact of the drop-off point on their homes.
Further information including plans and CGIs of the proposed stations is available on the West Midlands Rail Executive website.
Local residents were concerned about the loss of on-street parking in the immediate vicinity of the station; Gavin could not give any assurances but explained options including parking restrictions, enforcement and infrastructure would be explored. 
Policing update
Sgt Sam Bonehill, PCSOs Paul Blackford and Jenene Tandy updated the Forum on recent activity. 
Burglaries: various warrants have been executed across the constituency and 9 arrests have been made. In response to last monthís request for prolific offenders to be made public, Sgt Bonehill explained some cannot be named as they are juveniles including one offender who was putting films of his crimes on Instagram. Others were named including Dexter Foster who has been given a curfew and tag, and Ashley Carter who has been sentenced to 18 weeks for breaking into porches.
The incidence of burglaries increased immediately after Christmas but has since reduced; the same advice remains in place around fitting anti-snap locks to doors and disk-locks to cars. Sgt Bonehill noted a recent change in burglary MOs with some instances of fishing through letterboxes and using blowtorches to melt UPVC doors; keys should never be left in sight. Residents of properties near parks should check their boundaries and consider planting prickly bushes to enhance security. 
Assault at Rowheath: the report on Birmingham Live of the mugging of a female jogger on the playing fields suggested the woman had her neck slashed; although she was grabbed from behind and had some small scratches on her neck there is no evidence this was with a knife. Sgt Bonehill reassured residents this was an isolated incident by an opportunistic mugger. Patrols have been increased and people were reminded not to wear headphones when out jogging.
Neighbourhood Watch: Cllrs Mary Locke and Fred Grindrod have held meetings with local residents to discuss setting up new neighbourhood watch groups. Cllr Locke has also set up a new residentsí association for the Pineapple Estate.
Community Speedwatch: this initiative is being set up in conjunction with West Midlands Fire Service and will take an educative approach in tackling speeding. Sessions will take place 1 Ė 2 times per month. Bournville PCSOs are being trained in using a pro-laser speed camera which will enable them to issue tickets. 
Police numbers: the PCSO who recently left the team will not be replaced; it is hoped a student officer will join in the future. PC Paul Rimell has been seconded to Selly Oak in a post funded by the University of Birmingham.         
Planning update      
1616 Pershore Rd: no decision has been made on the proposal for ground, first floor and loft extensions; however, works have already started. Cllr Locke has reported this to BCC Planning.   
Former Tesco site: Seven Capital report a planning application is now imminent.
AOB      
Food bank collections: Cllr Locke reported 1,000 kg of food was collected on December 15th.
Telegraph poles: Cllr Locke is dealing with residentsí concerns about the recent proliferation of new telegraph poles around Bournville Lane and Oxford Street.   
Upcoming events
Love at the Baths: 16th February, 7.00 pm in Stirchley Baths. Musical event with profits going to the Memory Cafť; tickets £9/£7.
Date of the next meeting
Monday 11th February, 7.30 pm in Stirchley Community Church

Disclaimer notice on behalf of the Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum Management Committee
1. The Management Committee does not normally have prior knowledge of items which will be raised as Any Other Business, but the Management Committee will help facilitate such items where it does have prior knowledge, and which are in the interests of Stirchley.
2. The Forum is not aligned to any political party or one group and hence will hold a neutral stance in all political items which are raised at the meetings; the Forum may take a stance (positive/negative) on planning applications discussed at the meeting or on changes to community/neighbourhood services which affect the Forum area
3. The Forumís Management Committee will not allow a person or organisation to use the Forumís meeting as a means to any political end.
4. All residents and businesses within the Forumís area have the right to attend and speak at the meeting.  Business owners, not resident within the forum area, have a right to attend and speak at SNF meetings, but they cannot make up quorum.
5. The Forum or its Management Committee will not be held responsible for leaflets or other media which is handed out by third parties either at or following the Forumís meeting.  The views of any such leaflets or other communication are those of the distributor/publisher and not necessarily those of the Neighbourhood Forum.