Author Topic: Notes Minutes of the last meeting  (Read 93861 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mick Jones

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 832
    • Stirchley Website
Re: Notes Minutes of the last meeting
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of the meeting held on 14th May 2018
, Stirchley Community Church
Present:   Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Members of the Forum’s management committee
Apologies:   Cllr Mary Locke + 4
Peter Walker took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on 9th April 2018 were circulated and agreed as a true record.
Matters arising    
Paper recycling: some residents are still experiencing difficulties with collections of cardboard waste. 
Policing update      
PCSOs Paul Blackford and Jenene Tandy presented their report on recent activity. 
Shed break-ins: bikes and tools are being stolen; ensure sheds are secure and fit outdoor lighting.   
Thefts of cars: consider using a steering lock to deter burglars stealing keys. 
Cartland Rd: 2 robberies of mobile phones have been reported; the suspect is a black male.
Street beggars: residents were asked not to give money or food as it encourages begging; the man on the corner of Ivy Rd has rejected all offers of support, including accommodation. It was reported that Costcutters has put up a sign stating customers buying food for beggars would be refused service. One local resident felt the police advice was overly harsh; the PCSOs conceded it was up to individuals to choose whether or not to give handouts but explained they were responding to multiple complaints about begging.
Violent attacks: the machete attack in Cotteridge and stabbing outside Wickes are unconnected events, and both are believed to be the result of disagreements between people known to each other.
Drug dealing in the British Oak: manager Joe Myers outlined the measures taken to tackle the issue. These include bouncers on the door and regular WC checks by staff. He accepted there may have been an issue over the Bank Holiday weekend when the pub was short staffed.
Burglaries: following a string of burglaries locally, Bournville police successfully applied for overtime; on the first night 4 suspects were arrested and 3 have now been charged with 17 offences. A resident of Ashbrook Rd thanked the PCSOs for their magnificent community policing response to the spate of burglaries in the area; this has greatly reassured worried residents. PW noted the importance of the Forum in connecting local communities with police.   
Cashpoint crime: although there have been no further reports of devices being fitted to cashpoints, people should remain vigilant and report anything suspicious.
ASB: a resident has been jailed for 2 weeks.
ANPR: an operation is planned for outside the Co-op in Stirchley.
School parking: police will patrol when resources are available.
Enterprise Car Rental: following a visit from police, Enterprise are now using a car park to the rear of Bookers. Residents still reported problems with cars blocking the pavement. Police will make a second visit and continue to monitor the situation.
Community Speedwatch: a meeting is being held on 22nd May.
Mini motos: a resident reported 5 youths with 2 mini motos on Hunts Rd, egged on by a parent.
Graffiti: this remains a problem in the area, particularly on Bournville Lane bridge. PCSO Blackford explained BCC will paint out any offensive graffiti within 24 hours. British Transport Police are responsible for railways. WMP do visit local schools and often identify offenders by the tags on their notebooks.
Assault on Lewis Rd: 3 masked school age youths punched a student in the face in an unprovoked attack. Nothing was taken; one of the youths was wearing a grim reaper mask.
Charlotte Rd traffic: trucks for Wickes, Selco and other industrial units are creating a danger for schoolchildren and regularly damage parked cars; residents would like to see a restriction on the size of vehicles using the road. This is an issue for BCC highways but WMP will provide a letter of support. The Birmingham Powder Coatings site on Clonmel Rd is being sold; residents are concerned that any replacement enterprise or redevelopment of the site may further exacerbate traffic problems.
Hustings meeting
This was a great success. It was reported that Cllr Locke is putting together a ward plan for Stirchley and will be consulting with local groups including the Forum.
Late Summer Bash
BCC have finally given permission to use Stirchley Park. Volunteers will be needed nearer the time to deliver fliers.
Planning update      
Sandra Cooper, Forum Planning Officer, updated the meeting on current planning issues.
51 Hazelwell St: the development of 3 apartments on a vacant lot have been approved but with the condition that an electric charging point is provided for each parking bay. SC suggested we ask for public charging points on future developments.
Maj Raj: the ATM was approved.
The Three Horseshoes: no decision has been made. SC will invite the new owners to the Forum. Noise from the function room could be a problem for local residents if use increases.
1547 Pershore Rd: no further news about the appeal and second application.
Aldi: no news.
Seven Capital site: no news. An application has been submitted for the demolition of the remaining properties on Pershore Rd/Hunts Rd. Comments close on 24th May. SC raised the possibility that the pavement may have to be closed during the works. The ecological report states the Japanese Knotweed has been removed.
1-3 County Close: application for a 2-storey side extension which may create an HMO.
50 Lea House Rd: application to extend the kitchen. This may impact on the neighbouring property but the Forum does not comment on individual householder applications.
1216 Pershore Rd: 2-storey side extension which may create an HMO. SC will object on behalf of the Forum. It was suggested that a Stirchley ward plan might be a useful tool in limiting HMOs.
1381-3 Pershore Rd: application to convert a former restaurant into new premises for the Wild Cat Tap pub. The provision of a disabled access was commended although concerns were raised about the use of the outdoor space to the rear. It was noted that both Caneat and Alicia’s Bakehouse use their backyards, the former without planning permission. Pub owner Liam reassured the Forum that there were no immediate plans for the outdoor space although it may become a smoking area. PW commented on customers congregating outside the current Wild Cat Tap and obstructing the pavement; Liam will address this issue. 
1403-7 Pershore Rd: application for demolition of the existing building and its replacement with a 4-storey building with a retail unit on the ground floor and 42 student studio apartments above. A previous permission for 6 flats over retail units had lapsed. Issues raised by SC included the over-development of the site, visual impact on the high street, lack of disabled access, absence of any communal space and inadequate refuse storage. SC was also concerned that the retail unit has been designed to be a restaurant.   
Following a noise assessment, BCC have demanded non-standard double glazing and extractor fans in every room.
SC noted the absence of any justification for student housing and raised her concerns that this could become a non-student HMO, possibly supported living. It would also set a precedent for future development along the high street e.g. corner of Twyning Rd and Seven Capital site next to the British Oak. There was widespread opposition to the proposal. Legitimate planning issues will be posted on www.stirchley.co.uk to aid with individual objections; the Forum will also object. Comments close on 7th June. 
AOB
JJ’s flooring: the demo on 12th May was organised by Acorn, a new union set up in 2015 to campaign against poorly run HMOs.
Firework shop and Party Shop: a neighbour expressed their frustration at the poor condition of these buildings which are also the focus of ASB such as drug dealing. Cllr Locke is working with BCC to come up with a resolution. Previous plans for an Asda would have seen improvements to the junction and the demolition of the Firework shop. 
Community Speedwatch: Cyril Bezant outlined the plans for a scheme in south Birmingham. Volunteers were invited to sign up. 
Upcoming events
British Oak: a meeting is being held on 16th May at Stirchley Baths for residents to air their grievances about noise from the pub. Cllr Locke will attend.
Stirchley Library: volunteers are needed on 15th and 22nd May from 2-3 pm to tag books for the new self-service machines.
Ten Acres clear-up: 17th June. The new vicar at the Church of the Ascension is working with Stirchley Community Group to green-up the area.
Date of the next meeting
Monday 11th June, 7.30 pm in Stirchley Community Church
Disclaimer notice on behalf of the Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum Management Committee
1. The Management Committee does not normally have prior knowledge of items which will be raised as Any Other Business, but the Management Committee will help facilitate such items where it does have prior knowledge, and which are in the interests of Stirchley.
2. The Forum is not aligned to any political party or one group and hence will hold a neutral stance in all political items which are raised at the meetings; the Forum may take a stance (positive/negative) on planning applications discussed at the meeting or on changes to community/neighbourhood services which affect the Forum area
3. The Forum’s Management Committee will not allow a person or organisation to use the Forum’s meeting as a means to any political end.
4. All residents and businesses within the Forum’s area have the right to attend and speak at the meeting.  Business owners, not resident within the forum area, have a right to attend and speak at SNF meetings, but they cannot make up quorum.
5. The Forum or its Management Committee will not be held responsible for leaflets or other media which is handed out by third parties either at or following the Forum’s meeting.  The views of any such leaflets or other communication are those of the distributor/publisher and not necessarily those of the Neighbourhood Forum.
www.stirchley.co.uk

Offline Mick Jones

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 832
    • Stirchley Website
Re: Notes Minutes of the last meeting
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of the meeting held on 11th June 2018,
Stirchley Community Church
Present:   41: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Members of the Forum’s management committee
Apologies:   Cllr Mary Locke + 1
Peter Walker took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on 14th May 2018 were circulated and agreed as a true record.
Matters arising    
Firework shop and Party Shop: Cllr Locke has gone on a walkabout of the area with Doug Lee from BCC Regeneration to identify vacant units and discuss strategies for bringing them back into use. The owners of the Firework and Party shops have been asked to tidy up their properties.
The neighbour who raised this issue last month welcomed Cllr Locke’s intervention but questioned why BCC could not CPO the properties.     
Policing update      
PCSOs Paul Blackford and Jenene Tandy presented their report on recent activity. 
Speedwatch: checks have been carried out on Fordhouse Ln, Cartland Rd and Heath Rd; 2 motorists were given tickets. Residents can request speed checks in their area, but these are limited to roads wide enough to allow vehicles to be pulled over without obstructing traffic.
A resident noted the speed limit sign on Hazelwell Crescent next to Fordhouse Ln is not sufficiently visible due to its position by a hedge. PCSO Tandy explained this was an issue for BCC Highways; this will be fed back to Cllr Locke. 
The ANPR operation planned for June 21st has been postponed due to staff training.
School parking: WMP have been visiting local schools; during one patrol a parent was fined £200 and given 6 points for using a mobile phone while driving.
ASBO: a man who breached an ASB for harassing their neighbours is now in custody awaiting trial.   
Sexual offence: following an incident on the no. 47 bus a man has been arrested; WMP will be running a safer travel operation over the next few months.
Local burglaries: a man has been arrested in Kings Heath. Burglaries have returned to routine levels. The perpetrators responsible for the recent spate of burglaries in Stirchley are still on remand.   
Summer festivals: WMP will be attending both the Bournville Village Festival and Cocomad. 
Vehicle crime: Ford Fiesta and Focus models remain the target. WMP recommend using a steering lock and keeping keys in a Faraday bag in the house to prevent remote access. A local resident suggested a crisp packet performed equally well. In a recent theft on Woodlands Park Rd neighbours were threatened at 8.00 am by 2 white lads stealing a brand new £12,000 Fiesta.
Thefts of mopeds and motorbikes are also on the rise.   
Travellers: a camp has been set up on Billesley Common; WMP asked residents to report travellers attempting to move onto parks and other sites.
Stirchley Trading Estate: WMP visited the Howdens unit yesterday following reports of their alarm going off over the weekend; a further visit will be made as the alarm has continued to sound.
Dangerous cycling: WMP have to use their discretion when dealing with cyclists on pavements; the River Rea is a shared surface where cyclists should respect other users.
Muggings: although it was reported there have been no more along the River Rea corridor, there was a mugging in Selly Park recently. Bournville police were unaware as it was out of their area.     
New inspector: Noeleen Murrin has moved from Perry Barr to lead the team in Selly Oak. 
Stirchley Fruit and Nut Village
Felipe Molina and Rob Tilling presented their plans for a Heritage Lottery funded project to plant 6 sites in and around Stirchley as perennial food sources such as orchards, with a focus on local heritage species. The sites are: Stirchley Park, Hazelwell Park, Ten Acres, land off Fordhouse Ln alongside the River Rea, Umberslade Nursery and Pebble Mill Playing Fields. The project is funded for 2 years, although Rob and Felipe have already been working in the area, for example planting an edible hedge in Stirchley Park. 
Local people can get involved in a number of ways such as helping with planting or adopting and caring for a site. A public consultation is being held on Saturday June 16th from 1.00 to 5.00 pm in Pebble Mill Fields.
In response to concerns about children being encouraged to pick fruit in parks, Felipe explained they would start by planting common recognisable fruits and would avoid those which could be confused with poisonous varieties.
Planning update      
Sandra Cooper, Forum Planning Officer, updated the meeting on current planning issues.
51 Hazelwell St: one of the conditions of the approval was a noise survey; this usually results in a requirement for additional double glazing. 
1381-3 Pershore Rd/Wild Cat Tap: approval has been granted with conditions including CCTV, a noise survey and the first floor residence is only to be used by the business owner. Operating hours will be 12.00 to 11.00 pm with deliveries from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm. No use can be made of the outside space until plans have been submitted for smoking shelters. The Forum are not consulted on any applications for alcohol or entertainment licences.
Demolition of Hunts Rd/Pershore Rd buildings by Seven Capital: BCC have requested an ecological mitigation plan and a demolition statement following concerns raised by the Forum.
1403-7 Pershore Rd: no decision has been made. SC submitted an extensive objection on behalf of the Forum, and suggested the potential for planning gain by creating a new access to the rear of adjacent properties. No information has been made available on the plans to demolish the existing buildings; some coloured glass panels had been offered to Stirchley History Group.
One resident suggested the planning permission notice had not been adequately displayed.
The Three Horseshoes: no decision has been made.
1216 Pershore Rd: no decision has been made.
Aldi: no further news.
Arvin Meritor site: a resident noted the large amount of dust being produced by the building works.
AOB
Hazelwell Estate potholes: a resident questioned when BCC would deal with the large number of potholes, including on the cycle path at the foot of the Fordrough; this will be fed back to Cllr Locke.
Hazelwell Park bund: residents of Ashbrook Rd reported having their back gardens flooded by water running down the bund during the recent torrential rainstorm. A meeting held in Selly Park South to discuss the floods was not advertised in Stirchley, so residents were unable to feedback on the impact of the bund.
Elsewhere in Stirchley water backing up through drains and sewers caused localised flooding; some residents cited poor maintenance of the River Rea’s banks and incoming gullies as the cause. SC suggested information should be collected about the number of properties affected. SC reported there was no river flooding of Fashoda and Cecil Rds, suggesting the new flood prevention scheme had worked in that area.
Upcoming events
Stirchley History Group: 14th June 7.00 pm in Stirchley Baths, a talk about WW1 Chuggers.
Ten Acres clear-up: 17th June 10.00 am to 1.00 pm.
Big Bug Hunt: 23rd June 10.30 am to 12.00 pm in Cannon Hill Park.
Date of the next meeting
Monday 9th July, 7.30 pm in Stirchley Community Church
Disclaimer notice on behalf of the Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum Management Committee
1. The Management Committee does not normally have prior knowledge of items which will be raised as Any Other Business, but the Management Committee will help facilitate such items where it does have prior knowledge, and which are in the interests of Stirchley.
2. The Forum is not aligned to any political party or one group and hence will hold a neutral stance in all political items which are raised at the meetings; the Forum may take a stance (positive/negative) on planning applications discussed at the meeting or on changes to community/neighbourhood services which affect the Forum area
3. The Forum’s Management Committee will not allow a person or organisation to use the Forum’s meeting as a means to any political end.
4. All residents and businesses within the Forum’s area have the right to attend and speak at the meeting.  Business owners, not resident within the forum area, have a right to attend and speak at SNF meetings, but they cannot make up quorum.
5. The Forum or its Management Committee will not be held responsible for leaflets or other media which is handed out by third parties either at or following the Forum’s meeting.  The views of any such leaflets or other communication are those of the distributor/publisher and not necessarily those of the Neighbourhood Forum.
www.stirchley.co.uk

Offline Mick Jones

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 832
    • Stirchley Website
Re: Notes Minutes of the last meeting
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of the meeting held on 9th July 2018
, Stirchley Community Church
Present:   44: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Members of the Forum’s management committee
Apologies:   Cllr Mary Locke + 3
Peter Walker took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on 11th June 2018 were circulated and agreed as a true record.
Matters arising    
Firework shop and Party Shop: Cllr Locke has requested a tidy up of both properties.
Recent flooding in Stirchley and Selly Park
Mike Adams, Senior Advisor at the Environment Agency, outlined the events of 27th June that led to a number of properties in the local area being flooded.
60mm of rain fell within one hour, almost the monthly average, and 100mm fell within three hours. The Rea rose to similar levels as in 2008 when over 100 homes were flooded in Selly Park south. The newly built flood defences largely protected homes in and around Fashoda and Cecil Roads, but the drainage system struggled to cope with the sheer volume of surface water. Mike explained this weather event was beyond anything local authorities routinely design for.
Much of the criticism from residents concerned the bund in Hazelwell Park; Mike agreed it now looks a mess and explained this was due to the exceptionally cold spring which had stalled sowing grass until the autumn. The lack of grass cover does not affect the viability of the bund which has a solid clay core.
Residents of Ashbrook Rd described surface water washing down the bund onto the service road and flooding both their back gardens and Dad’s Lane Chip Shop for the first time ever. Previously surface water would have been able to drain onto Hazelwell park.
There was some frustration that the bund had been built to benefit St Andrew’s Healthcare and the area downstream, at the expense of Stirchley residents. There were concerns that the proposed extension to St Andrew’s might increase the likelihood of flooding.
Mike explained St Andrew’s had contributed towards the cost of the new flood defences, but that their plans were currently on hold. The Environment Agency are modelling the event to determine what impact the bund has had; they will then consider additional measures to prevent future flooding.
A resident of Hazelwell Crescent reported three properties, including their own, being flooded to a depth of 6 – 12” as a result of surface water overwhelming the drains and pouring down the hill. Mike recommended those affected get in touch with the National Flood Forum for support. The Environment Agency are working with BCC to improve the maintenance of the drainage system, which was blamed by many people for these localised incidents.
Residents reported feeling ignored by the Environment Agency. Mike apologised and explained initial efforts had been focussed on the worst affected areas in the city; he offered to conduct a survey of Ashbrook Road to determine the extent of flooding. 
Policing update      
Sgt Sam Bonehill, PC Paul Rimell, PCSOs Paul Blackford and James Sargeant updated the Forum on recent activity. 
Burglaries: 3 people suspected of being involved in 10 burglaries were arrested on Saturday, thanks to information from local residents.
Traffic operations: these are continuing when resources allow; a recent operation on the Co-op car park resulted in 2 arrests and the discovery of red diesel. WMP are introducing a more efficient method of dealing with parking violations that uses photos to log offences. ASB involving mopeds has been a problem locally; police are unable to use stingers but can pursue riders without helmets.   
Vehicle crime: a car stolen from Selly Oak was recovered on the Masefield Estate.
Anti-social behaviour: there are currently 980 logged reports of ASB awaiting investigation.
Begging: Sgt Bonehill acknowledged begging can be a contentious issue as many beggars are vulnerable people. All beggars are offered support but as begging and vagrancy are offences, enforcement action will be taken where behaviour is intimidating. 
101 service: Sgt Bonehill agreed response times were still too slow; incidents can also be reported by email. It was pointed out that PCC David Jamieson undertook to improve the service when he spoke at the 2016 Forum AGM.
Stolen goods: a resident reported an increase in these being offered for sale in local pubs. Sgt Bonehill suggested this was due to the police being overstretched and unable to respond swiftly to reports of shoplifting.
Streetwatch: residents were invited to join this scheme and patrol their neighbourhood, gathering information rather than challenging behaviour. The loss of 23,000 police officers nationally was noted by one resident who criticised the scheme for replacing paid professionals with volunteers. Sgt Bonehill acknowledged this opinion but explained WMP had lost 2000 police officers and needed additional support to cope with the current workload.
ASB around Bournville train station: there were reports of a man with mental health issues pushing people. WMP are aware of him; however, incidents at train stations are the responsibility of British Transport Police. 
Assault in Hazelwell Park: police have spoken to witnesses and are following up a number of leads.
Planning update      
Sandra Cooper, Forum Planning Officer, updated the meeting on current planning issues.
The Hazelwells (former Arvin Meritor site): application for a non-illuminated sign to advertise the new homes. 
58 Ribblesdale Rd: application for change of use from 3 bed house to a 6 bed HMO; SC will submit an objection to the over occupation of a family home.
AOB
Late Summer Bash: volunteers are needed to deliver the flyers in August. Raffle prizes collected to date include a £50 Sainsbury voucher, Galaxy tablet and voucher for the Nature Centre.
Kings Heath Cat Club: any stray or feral cats should be reported to the group, who will arrange for them to be tracked, neutered and released.
Acorn: this newly established tenants’ union is continuing to pick up casework and new members locally. They have had some success at Emperor Court where landlord JJ Khan (of JJ’s flooring) is making repairs to the roof. 
Ward plan: Cllr Locke is proposing a ward plan for Stirchley and would like representatives of local community groups to get involved.
Date of the next meeting
Monday 10th September, 7.30 pm in Stirchley Community Church
There is no meeting in August.
Disclaimer notice on behalf of the Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum Management Committee
1. The Management Committee does not normally have prior knowledge of items which will be raised as Any Other Business, but the Management Committee will help facilitate such items where it does have prior knowledge, and which are in the interests of Stirchley.
2. The Forum is not aligned to any political party or one group and hence will hold a neutral stance in all political items which are raised at the meetings; the Forum may take a stance (positive/negative) on planning applications discussed at the meeting or on changes to community/neighbourhood services which affect the Forum area
3. The Forum’s Management Committee will not allow a person or organisation to use the Forum’s meeting as a means to any political end.
4. All residents and businesses within the Forum’s area have the right to attend and speak at the meeting.  Business owners, not resident within the forum area, have a right to attend and speak at SNF meetings, but they cannot make up quorum.
5. The Forum or its Management Committee will not be held responsible for leaflets or other media which is handed out by third parties either at or following the Forum’s meeting.  The views of any such leaflets or other communication are those of the distributor/publisher and not necessarily those of the Neighbourhood Forum.
www.stirchley.co.uk