Author Topic: Notes Minutes of the last meeting  (Read 91365 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mick Jones

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 829
    • Stirchley Website
Re: Notes Minutes of the last meeting
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of the meeting held on 14th May 2018
, Stirchley Community Church
Present:   Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Members of the Forum’s management committee
Apologies:   Cllr Mary Locke + 4
Peter Walker took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on 9th April 2018 were circulated and agreed as a true record.
Matters arising    
Paper recycling: some residents are still experiencing difficulties with collections of cardboard waste. 
Policing update      
PCSOs Paul Blackford and Jenene Tandy presented their report on recent activity. 
Shed break-ins: bikes and tools are being stolen; ensure sheds are secure and fit outdoor lighting.   
Thefts of cars: consider using a steering lock to deter burglars stealing keys. 
Cartland Rd: 2 robberies of mobile phones have been reported; the suspect is a black male.
Street beggars: residents were asked not to give money or food as it encourages begging; the man on the corner of Ivy Rd has rejected all offers of support, including accommodation. It was reported that Costcutters has put up a sign stating customers buying food for beggars would be refused service. One local resident felt the police advice was overly harsh; the PCSOs conceded it was up to individuals to choose whether or not to give handouts but explained they were responding to multiple complaints about begging.
Violent attacks: the machete attack in Cotteridge and stabbing outside Wickes are unconnected events, and both are believed to be the result of disagreements between people known to each other.
Drug dealing in the British Oak: manager Joe Myers outlined the measures taken to tackle the issue. These include bouncers on the door and regular WC checks by staff. He accepted there may have been an issue over the Bank Holiday weekend when the pub was short staffed.
Burglaries: following a string of burglaries locally, Bournville police successfully applied for overtime; on the first night 4 suspects were arrested and 3 have now been charged with 17 offences. A resident of Ashbrook Rd thanked the PCSOs for their magnificent community policing response to the spate of burglaries in the area; this has greatly reassured worried residents. PW noted the importance of the Forum in connecting local communities with police.   
Cashpoint crime: although there have been no further reports of devices being fitted to cashpoints, people should remain vigilant and report anything suspicious.
ASB: a resident has been jailed for 2 weeks.
ANPR: an operation is planned for outside the Co-op in Stirchley.
School parking: police will patrol when resources are available.
Enterprise Car Rental: following a visit from police, Enterprise are now using a car park to the rear of Bookers. Residents still reported problems with cars blocking the pavement. Police will make a second visit and continue to monitor the situation.
Community Speedwatch: a meeting is being held on 22nd May.
Mini motos: a resident reported 5 youths with 2 mini motos on Hunts Rd, egged on by a parent.
Graffiti: this remains a problem in the area, particularly on Bournville Lane bridge. PCSO Blackford explained BCC will paint out any offensive graffiti within 24 hours. British Transport Police are responsible for railways. WMP do visit local schools and often identify offenders by the tags on their notebooks.
Assault on Lewis Rd: 3 masked school age youths punched a student in the face in an unprovoked attack. Nothing was taken; one of the youths was wearing a grim reaper mask.
Charlotte Rd traffic: trucks for Wickes, Selco and other industrial units are creating a danger for schoolchildren and regularly damage parked cars; residents would like to see a restriction on the size of vehicles using the road. This is an issue for BCC highways but WMP will provide a letter of support. The Birmingham Powder Coatings site on Clonmel Rd is being sold; residents are concerned that any replacement enterprise or redevelopment of the site may further exacerbate traffic problems.
Hustings meeting
This was a great success. It was reported that Cllr Locke is putting together a ward plan for Stirchley and will be consulting with local groups including the Forum.
Late Summer Bash
BCC have finally given permission to use Stirchley Park. Volunteers will be needed nearer the time to deliver fliers.
Planning update      
Sandra Cooper, Forum Planning Officer, updated the meeting on current planning issues.
51 Hazelwell St: the development of 3 apartments on a vacant lot have been approved but with the condition that an electric charging point is provided for each parking bay. SC suggested we ask for public charging points on future developments.
Maj Raj: the ATM was approved.
The Three Horseshoes: no decision has been made. SC will invite the new owners to the Forum. Noise from the function room could be a problem for local residents if use increases.
1547 Pershore Rd: no further news about the appeal and second application.
Aldi: no news.
Seven Capital site: no news. An application has been submitted for the demolition of the remaining properties on Pershore Rd/Hunts Rd. Comments close on 24th May. SC raised the possibility that the pavement may have to be closed during the works. The ecological report states the Japanese Knotweed has been removed.
1-3 County Close: application for a 2-storey side extension which may create an HMO.
50 Lea House Rd: application to extend the kitchen. This may impact on the neighbouring property but the Forum does not comment on individual householder applications.
1216 Pershore Rd: 2-storey side extension which may create an HMO. SC will object on behalf of the Forum. It was suggested that a Stirchley ward plan might be a useful tool in limiting HMOs.
1381-3 Pershore Rd: application to convert a former restaurant into new premises for the Wild Cat Tap pub. The provision of a disabled access was commended although concerns were raised about the use of the outdoor space to the rear. It was noted that both Caneat and Alicia’s Bakehouse use their backyards, the former without planning permission. Pub owner Liam reassured the Forum that there were no immediate plans for the outdoor space although it may become a smoking area. PW commented on customers congregating outside the current Wild Cat Tap and obstructing the pavement; Liam will address this issue. 
1403-7 Pershore Rd: application for demolition of the existing building and its replacement with a 4-storey building with a retail unit on the ground floor and 42 student studio apartments above. A previous permission for 6 flats over retail units had lapsed. Issues raised by SC included the over-development of the site, visual impact on the high street, lack of disabled access, absence of any communal space and inadequate refuse storage. SC was also concerned that the retail unit has been designed to be a restaurant.   
Following a noise assessment, BCC have demanded non-standard double glazing and extractor fans in every room.
SC noted the absence of any justification for student housing and raised her concerns that this could become a non-student HMO, possibly supported living. It would also set a precedent for future development along the high street e.g. corner of Twyning Rd and Seven Capital site next to the British Oak. There was widespread opposition to the proposal. Legitimate planning issues will be posted on www.stirchley.co.uk to aid with individual objections; the Forum will also object. Comments close on 7th June. 
AOB
JJ’s flooring: the demo on 12th May was organised by Acorn, a new union set up in 2015 to campaign against poorly run HMOs.
Firework shop and Party Shop: a neighbour expressed their frustration at the poor condition of these buildings which are also the focus of ASB such as drug dealing. Cllr Locke is working with BCC to come up with a resolution. Previous plans for an Asda would have seen improvements to the junction and the demolition of the Firework shop. 
Community Speedwatch: Cyril Bezant outlined the plans for a scheme in south Birmingham. Volunteers were invited to sign up. 
Upcoming events
British Oak: a meeting is being held on 16th May at Stirchley Baths for residents to air their grievances about noise from the pub. Cllr Locke will attend.
Stirchley Library: volunteers are needed on 15th and 22nd May from 2-3 pm to tag books for the new self-service machines.
Ten Acres clear-up: 17th June. The new vicar at the Church of the Ascension is working with Stirchley Community Group to green-up the area.
Date of the next meeting
Monday 11th June, 7.30 pm in Stirchley Community Church
Disclaimer notice on behalf of the Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum Management Committee
1. The Management Committee does not normally have prior knowledge of items which will be raised as Any Other Business, but the Management Committee will help facilitate such items where it does have prior knowledge, and which are in the interests of Stirchley.
2. The Forum is not aligned to any political party or one group and hence will hold a neutral stance in all political items which are raised at the meetings; the Forum may take a stance (positive/negative) on planning applications discussed at the meeting or on changes to community/neighbourhood services which affect the Forum area
3. The Forum’s Management Committee will not allow a person or organisation to use the Forum’s meeting as a means to any political end.
4. All residents and businesses within the Forum’s area have the right to attend and speak at the meeting.  Business owners, not resident within the forum area, have a right to attend and speak at SNF meetings, but they cannot make up quorum.
5. The Forum or its Management Committee will not be held responsible for leaflets or other media which is handed out by third parties either at or following the Forum’s meeting.  The views of any such leaflets or other communication are those of the distributor/publisher and not necessarily those of the Neighbourhood Forum.
www.stirchley.co.uk