Author Topic: As the Crow Flies A walk from two starting points  (Read 405 times)

Offline Mick Jones

• Administrator
    • Stirchley Website
As the Crow Flies A walk from two starting points
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:06:46 AM »
As the Crow Flies A walk from two starting points
Sunday 25 June 2pm

This is a walk that explores movement and it’s interruption by development in Stirchley. Hazelwell Lane, a main thoroughfare and significant street in Stirchley's history was closed by Tesco during its clearing of compulsory purchased land for the development of their supermarket.  The walk will approach the barrier from each side, beginning at The Hazelwell Pub to the East and Bournville for Stirchley Station to the West. We will meet at the barrier and mark the occasion. We are interested in how people move around and through Stirchley and how this knowledge can be used to inform the planning of the site in the future with its new owners.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:08:25 AM by Mick Jones »
www.stirchley.co.uk

Offline JPitcock

Re: As the Crow Flies A walk from two starting points
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:03:15 PM »
I don't understand why Tesco can't be made to re-open the right of way. (I assumed it was allowed to be closed temporarily during construction of the store and would have re-opened pedestrians and cyclists on completion). Hazelwell Road is on a map I have from 1887.

I know Tesco were asked to re-open it: but, as I expected, they said no (saying it would cost too much to replace the dug-up surface and secure the sides through the site).

Any future developers of the site must be compelled to re-open it by the planners.

I won't be able to attend the event.