Author Topic: Travellers Part (think of a number)  (Read 836 times)

Offline Jon Price

• Global Moderator
Travellers Part (think of a number)
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
Coming home yesterday afternoon from a weekend away noticed the gates on Fitness First site were open, only to see a fleet of caravans parked up. Because of it being private land owned by Lidl it'll be interesting to see how long they are on this site.
They do themselves no favours whatsoever  by constantly invading areas of the city and plonking themselves wherever they can and generally being antagonistic towards locals and the authorities.
Why has this problem got worse in the last few years? There must be a root cause and a solution to this problem. Let's get some dialogue going for goodness sake. JP

Offline The Concerned Resident

Re: Travellers Part (think of a number)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
I noticed this on Thursday evening and forgot to mention it on here, clearly they have cut the locks off the gates.

Its about time it got sorted out, but in my opinion in order to solve it properly the civil offences they are committing need to be upgraded to criminal ones, which would require parliamentary sign off to allow the police to deal with them in a more efficient manner...there's fat chance of that happening anytime soon.

So its left to the local government to play cat and mouse, wasting more of our money playing a game they can't hope to win

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »
Drove past about 30 mins ago and they are all getting turfed off, plus there's two police vans and a guy with a clipboard along with about 4 concrete blocks so i think that will be the end that camp on that location.

Still I'm sure that the rolling blight will be making a mess in someone else's neighbourhood now  :-\

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »
They're causing criminal damage to gain access to places but never prosecuted.

People obviously continue to give them cash in hand work as that's what they tend to fly tip.

Offline atomicjam

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »
Perry Park, Selly Oak, Selly Park & Hazelwell are now protected from encampments by injunctions:-

https://twitter.com/ehbham

Offline atomicjam

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
BCC have also confirmed that they are looking at a Traveller site at the far end of Bromford Drive in Hodge Hill with room for up to 60 caravans. Having such an option to direct travellers to brings in quicker powers to evict from non designated sites.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-city-council-reveals-location-13344344

Offline Jon Price

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Good that the council have acted and put the injunction on entering illegally in four parks within Brum. This gives the police more powers as breaking this is deemed to be contempt of court.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Dave, that is horrendous!

That much rubbish doesn't get dumped there in one go and I expect the owner has been complaining to the police and authorities since the moment the travellers turned up.

Cut off one or two padlocks and all of a sudden you've got a £100k clean up bill!