Author Topic: Tesco pulls out of Stirchley  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Mick Jones

• Administrator
    • Stirchley Website
Tesco pulls out of Stirchley
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
Tesco pulls the plug on Stirchley, more information as soon as it becomes available.
www.stirchley.co.uk

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
Re: Tesco pulls out of Stirchley
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
Good grief.  After all this time.

I wonder if they've found a buyer?  I saw a couple of builders looking at the old Kwik Save site two weeks ago.

I reckon they'll put housing on those sites. 

Offline Jon Price

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
What was the point of sending a team to the Forum recently? Utter shambles. Incensed not by the decision but by all the half truths that have been proffered over recent years. Two portions of land both here and Bristol St and both mothballed. JP

Offline Shel

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:34:33 AM »
So the appalling state of the site will remain for who knows how long.  I wasn't keen on Tescos but something needs to happen.  Stirchley is hugely messed about with no explanation again.

Offline JPitcock

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
It was headline news on BBC Radio WM at 11.30
www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_wm
Also see: www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tesco-drops-plans-giant-stirchley-12673319

Gutted.
How much longer will we have to put up with this eyesore?
I hope Aldi comes to the Magnet site instead.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:57:21 PM by JPitcock »

Offline JPitcock

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
Can we please have Hazelwell Lane reopened - been closed since June for no purpose?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:14:13 AM by JPitcock »

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
even Tesco admitted it was a mistake to shut the road. 

Offline Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tesco-drops-plans-giant-stirchley-12673319

Now that this has happened can we hope that there will be less vociferous opposition to LIDL?

Plus lets hope that the site won't become a much needed 'Travellers Park!'  :-\

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »
The opposition isn't aimed at Lidl.  It's aimed at the decision to remove a bowling alley and a fitness center and replace them with a supermarket.

Many would welcome Lidl if we could retain the two businesses currently in place, both of which are well used and well liked by the majority of locals.  It would be ideal if they could take some of the space vacated by Tesco. 

Offline David vs Goliath

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 06:52:09 AM »
It would make more sense for Lidl to move into part of the tesco site, keep the bowling ally and gym
And the rest of the tesco site used for housing

It's a win win situation for everyone
The land gets used, gets more professionals into housing with good transport links
Keeps local amenities alive and a much needed discount supermarket that will attract customers

I'm glad tesco are gone they weren't welcome. Looking at the other tesco extra developments they do nothing to rejuvenate to local area, kill off local businesses and turn the area in desert land as all the footfall ends up in the store and not in the community

Offline JPitcock

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »
True - but Lidl has permission to build on the Fitness/Bowling site and it is unlikely to be in their interest to pull out and start again with a new application.

Tesco/Stirchley was on Midlands Today last night
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08gbysy/midlands-today-evening-news-01032017
(from 5 minutes to 9 minutes)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:23:25 AM by JPitcock »

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
The last I heard was that Lidl still hadn't bought the site, so there's some hope it might not happen.

David v Goliath's suggestion is spot on.  Sadly that's too much like common sense and in the interests of those of us in B30, so it won't happen.

My worst fear is a fast food drive through.

Offline Breedon Cross Boy

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 09:43:37 AM »
The outcome is quite amazing when you think of the past decade in the area... The tesco saga is responsible for:

Kwik Save site being derelict for a decade

Closure and demolition of the Stirchley WMC (even though the amalgamated club has risen from the ashes)

The eviction of a dozen people from their homes, and the demolition of a row of very pleasing Victorian terrace houses, when we apparently have a housing shortage!

The demolition of the Victorian shops that housed Cobwebs and the likes. Nothing that will be built in their place will have quite the same character.

Prevented the ASDA on the Wilmot Breedon site, which would have seen the Fordhouse / Pershore junction sorted out

Closure of the road

And all of it is now for nothing! I'm not too fussed wither way, but it is amazing when you stand back and look it retrospectively.

I would appeal to the council to take a breath and actually think about what to do with the land that is in the best interest of the area, instead of building the first possible thing that we'll be stuck with forever... A half decent development that has a little design would be most welcome after walking past that mess for the whole time I've lived in the area!

Offline RippleRoad

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
the co-op plans had other shops and houses on the site...i guess they don't want the place now..
after all  they did everything in there powers to try stop tesco at the time.

Offline villan

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
Shameful the way they (Co-op) were treated after many many years of serving the people in Stirchley and surrounding areas. Their plan was sound in providing a mixed retail development and much needed new housing but sadly all those years counted for nothing when the council were blinded by the chance of quick buck.
The concerns of local people with regard to traffic, loss of health and recreation facility, existing shops and new housing still after all that has(or has not) happened in Stirchley seem to have very little consideration when dishing out new planning consent. Is another supermarket really necessary when there are a number of local independent grocery shops, the Co-op and other supermarkets all within a short car, bus, walk or bike ride away from the proposed new Lidl.
We see the same situation with food outlets opening. There have been so many late night outlets allowed to  open its affected the daylight trading hours and so many even they are struggling among themselves to stay in business.
Someone in authority maybe a councillor needs to get a grip of the planners once and for all. I can't bear to think what my Gran who lived for many years in Stirchley would think if she could see what it has become, she would turn in her grave  :'(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:44:27 PM by villan »