Author Topic: Tesco pulls out of Stirchley  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Jon Price

• Global Moderator
Re: Tesco pulls out of Stirchley
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
Where are our local representatives now after this fiasco. Don't tell me that somewhere along the line that they weren't privy to info that wasn't known publicly. It's alright two of the Cllrs appearing on Midlands Today and making all the right noises, but this could and should have been put to bed many years ago. What does our illustrious MP have to say on the matter.
Tesco as a business have a right to build or not owing to how they perceive the market in their chosen area. BCC and the Co Op in my eyes between them have sold Stirchley down the river. Get your act together and sort out this blighted area once and for all. JP

Offline joeholyoak

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »
I have seen comments from some people regretting Tesco's decision not to develop. I can see some economic arguments in favour of Tesco, but on the whole I suggest that Stirchley is better off without it. But an empty site is no good to anyone. Here is an opportunity for the Stirchley community to put together its own development proposal for the site, based upon the community's own analysis of what the neighbourhood needs. It could be community-based, environmentally progressive, and commercially viable, all at once. If welcome, I would be happy to spend some time assisting.
Joe Holyoak

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »
Where's the money coming from to buy and develop the land?

Offline villan

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:06 PM »
Agree with you Jon Price about BCC .. but the Co-op ?

Offline SuperStirchley

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
https://superstirchley.wordpress.com/2017/03/07/write-to-tesco-lidl/

In light of the recent news, local campaigners 'SuperStirchley' wanted to write to Tesco and Lidl.

SuperStirchley aren’t against Lidl. We want to keep our gym and bowling alley.

We want Tesco to consider selling a portion of their huge expanse of land in Stirchley to Lidl (and the rest for community ownership/housing/row of independent shops/extension to Hazelwell park/giant lido/theme park/ you name it…)

In all seriousness, it takes about a couple of minutes, possibly won’t make a difference, but definitely worth a try.

We have ready made templates here which you can edit as you see fit, feel free to copy us in sosuperstirchley@gmail.com :-

——

Matt Davies, Managing Director, Tesco Plc Matt.Davies@uk.tesco.com

Dave Lewis, CEO, Tesco Plc Dave.Lewis@uk.tesco.com

Tesco House, Shire Park

Kestrel Way, Welwyn Garden City 

AL7 1GA

Dear Sirs

RE:Tesco, Stirchley, Birmingham

I understand that your company has confirmed it will no longer be building a store at the above location.

I am sure you understand the disappointment this decision will have been to many residents in that and the surrounding area not to have a better quality supermarket in their vicinity. Obviously, this must be a disappointing business decision for you after many years in the planning.

You may be aware that Lidl intend to build on a nearby site which will completely eradicate one of Birmingham’s most popular gyms and a family bowling alley and the other entertainment that provides. They are currently a huge service to the community well above the intentions of Lidl’s.

Many residents and users are seeking direct and indirect actions to vent their anger and voice at our council’s planning decision. Whilst we continue to challenge BCC and Lidl a number of residents were wondering what Tesco could do to help our community with regards to saving those facilities especially in light of your company being a well-respected business in the market and the disappointment of you not continuing with your building of the store.

I am sure your own team would be able to suggest some practical ideas and suggestions but consideration could be to sell the land to the community, to Lidl or other proposals. This would clearly be a positive and supported accolade to you and Tesco’s.

I and/or several active residents would be only to pleased to meet with your representatives should you feel it helpful to all concerned. I can be contacted on the details provided.
Yours sincerely

—–

Christian Härtnagel Chief Executive christian.haertnagel@lidl.co.uk

Lidl UK GmbH, 19 Worple Road

Wimbledon, London, SW19 4JS

Dear Sir

RE:Lidl, Stirchley, Birmingham

As you will be aware Lidl are proposing to build a store on the site of Fitness First and PSL Bowling leisure centre in Stirchley, Birmingham.  If this proposal goes ahead it will result in the loss of both Fitness First and PSL Bowling, both who provide a huge service to the community.

It has recently been announced that Tesco have decided to pull out of their planned development in Stirchley and are now in the process of looking to sell.  The Tesco land in question has a larger footprint than your planned development on the Fitness First site and it is for this reason that the local community ask you to consider this, or a portion of this, as an alternative site for your new store, rather than demolishing a well used gym and leisure centre. 

I and/or several active residents would be only to pleased to meet with your representatives should you feel it helpful to all concerned. I can be contacted on the details provided.

Yours sincerely

https://superstirchley.wordpress.com/2017/03/07/write-to-tesco-lidl/