Author Topic: The British Oak  (Read 1320 times)

Offline lkilleen

The British Oak
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »
I am posting on the forum because I have concerns about The British Oak and the noise nuisance that is being caused by the shelter they have put up in their beer garden. The events that are being held in the shelter such as live bands, DJ's, film nights and sporting events are having a great impact upon the local residents due to the impact of the noise. It is really reducing local residents quality of life and making that part of Stirchley an unbearable place to live.

The previous owners of The British Oak were respectful with their events because they knew the pub was located in a residential area but the new owners have no consideration at all for local residents. They knew the pub was in a residential area before they brought it and they should take in to consideration the impact their events have upon the local residents. I understand it is a pub and I want it to be successful but it is not too much to ask that they keep their events within the pub building and not in the beer garden. The erection of the shelter has also drastically changed the view for residents living at the back of the pub as trees have been cut down and all that can now be seen is a large plastic shelter. No sound proofing has been put in place.

Please can this issue be raised at the next meeting?

Thank you

Laura Killeen

Offline breakaleg

• Global Moderator
Re: The British Oak
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:19:21 AM »
 Hi Laura,
Happy to mention it at the next meeting on Monday 12th September but should you wish we would be more than happy for you to come along and hear any reply first hand.
the meeting starts at 7:30 pm and ends at 9:00 pm in Stirchley Community Church in Hazelwell Street, just opposite Bournville lane, everyone is welcome.
Pete

Offline lkilleen

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
Hi Pete

Thank you for your reply. I do intend to attend the Stirchley meeting on 12th. I thought I would do a post to see if this was becoming an issue for other people.

Thanks

Laura

Offline brumtom

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »
Worth mentioning and I am sorry the noise is becoming an aggravation, with change comes issues, but if Stirchley is to change these things are going to have to happen and I feel The Oak is going through a process which is making the pub a place to visit, relax, be entertained and primarily enjoyed. The pub was becoming a 'classic old boozer' but sadly was not being upgraded, I am actually pleased of the actions that have been taken by the new landlord to make it a pub which I hope will become a regular haunt for the people of Stirchley for a long time in the future. We have the Oak or The Shoes, a pub that failed to be modernised properly and is now fairly rough as far as I am aware and have witnessed.

The music events etc outside and film nights, are they really loud or just of a certain volume ? Most pubs have a beer garden and when full can have quite a volume also from conversation and the like.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:06:50 PM by brumtom »

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »
The music was loud on Saturday, I thought that as I walked along Hazelwell Park but to be fair to the pub it seemed to carry more as the air was so still.

It's switched off by 11pm. 

I went there tonight and there was no music on, but the garden was full and I'm pleased to report it was mostly families.  They've hosted a few family days and a couple of charity events. 

In the recent past the Three Horseshoes had stabbings, fights, drug dealing and there was even a shooting, but at least the music wasn't loud. 

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:35:52 AM »
Someone has complained to the council, who in turn have told the British Oak that they can't play recorded music outdooors.

Which I am sure is great news for the person who complained.

Quite what I'm going to do now though is another matter.  It's my wife's 50th birthday next Saturday.  I had planned a surprise party for her at the Oak.  The marquee was going to be invite only with about 100 guests from around the country coming.  It's the first time a lot of people had met since her mother's funeral, so everyone was looking forward to getting together under much happier circumstances.

I hope you enjoy your Saturday.

Offline Raddog

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 03:42:39 PM »
To be fair, the music two weeks ago, I think 20th August was so loud that we had to turn up the TV, we're practically at Bournville station and the pub garden faces the other direction. It was a little bit over the top, nice way to impress the neighbours. 

Probably the worst thing is the amount of time it takes to get served despite there being loads of people behind the bar, 5-10  minutes wait at the main bar with only two people in front of me. On a Wednesday.

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:56:03 PM »
yep, the service can be slow.