Author Topic: replacing fitness First and Bowling planning application  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Shel

replacing fitness First and Bowling planning application
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:31:44 AM »
Planning application 2015/08699/PA proposes a Lidl replacing Fitness first and PS Bowling - I presume their lease is up or something similar.  This would be an incredible shame - there are no other local fitness or family facilities of a similar nature and Lidl would be incredibly close to the current Coop and the proposed Tesco site (although that seems to be unlikely to happen).  I've just emailed my comments to BCC. 

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
Re: replacing fitness First and Bowling planning application
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:44:10 AM »
I have no idea how busy the bowling alley is but I use it about once a month and most of the lanes are in use when I go.

As for the gym I use it 2 or 3 times a week and it's always busy.  A lot of the evening classes have to limit the number of people who can attend.

It's a strange place to put it.  Traffic there is bad enough without more cars wanting to turn into and out of the car park.  Having seen the plans it looks like the number of parking spaces will be reduced.

Surely lidl would be better off speaking to Tesco to see if they intend to continue with their plans or would be willing to sell off some of their land?

Offline John Lish

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:43:30 AM »
All links are uniquely generated by the operating system.

Go here: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/planningonline

Click Planning Online

Enter this: 2015/08699/PA

Note the current status of application is invalid.

Offline Shel

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
Hadn't spotted the invalid status.  They have done a lot of work for planning so will be interesting to see what happens next. 

Offline macsco

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
Invalid: an application submitted that does not meet all planning requirements will be considered invalid until all relevant information is received. A letter advising the reason or reasons why is sent to the agent or applicant and the application is not processed in the meantime.

Offline Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
Interesting:

http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/mvc/listDocuments?identifier=Planning&reference=2015/08699/PA

http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/docs/54E2EDA83D5CEF5101BE944607F09110/Document-54E2EDA83D5CEF5101BE944607F09110.pdf

Our ref: md12/01B509455
19 October 2015
Planning and Regeneration
Birmingham City Council
PO Box 28
Birmingham
B1 1TU
Dear Sirs
DETAILED PLANNING APPLICATION FOR DEMOLITION OF EXISTING BUILDINGS AND ERECTION OF CLASS
A1 RETAIL FOODSTORE, PARKING AND ASSOCIATED WORKS
LAND AT PERSHORE ROAD, STIRCHLEY, BIRMINGHAM B30 2YB
Bilfinger GVA is instructed by Lidl UK GmbH to submit a planning application for ‘demolition of existing
buildings and erection of Class A1 retail foodstore, parking and associated works,’ at Pershore Road,
Stirchley, Birmingham, B30 2YB.
The application site comprises 0.77ha of brownfield land, currently occupied by a gym and bowling
alley. Lidl propose to develop a new Class A1 retail supermarket on the site alongside a car park and
landscaping.
The submission here enclosed has been prepared with the benefit of pre-application discussions with
officers of Birmingham City Council.
Accordingly this application comprises:
• duly completed application form and ownership certificate;
• Site Location Plan, drawing reference B6149 (PL) 01;
• Proposed Site Plan, drawing reference B6149 (PL) 02 Revision C;
• Proposed Floor Plan, drawing reference B6149 (PL) 03 Revision B;
• Proposed Elevations Plan, drawing reference B6149 (PL) 04 Revision A;
• Proposed Site Sections, drawing reference B6149 (PL) 05 Revision B;
• Proposed Roof Plan, drawing reference B6149 (PL) 06 Revision A;
• Proposed Landscaping Plan, drawing reference STI1510 PP01 Revision B;
• Planning and Retail Statement, prepared by Bilfinger GVA;
• Design and Access Statement prepared by Escape Urbanists;
• Arboricultural Assessment prepared by RPS;
• Transport Assessment prepared by Phil Jones Associates;
• Travel Plan prepared by Phil Jones Associates;
• Acoustic Report prepared by Hoare Lea;
• Flood Risk Assessment prepared by Clear Environmental; and
• Ground Investigation Report prepared by Georisk Management.
A cheque for the amount of £13,090 in respect of the planning application.

Offline Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »

http://www.bournvilleconservatives.com/95-lidl-wants-to-come-to-stirchley

Lidl, the cut price supermarket chain, has submitted a planning application to redevelop the Fitness First leisure site on the Pershore Road into a Lidl supermarket.

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
If Tesco maintain their line that they intend to continue with the Stirchley project then they won't sell any of their land. Tesco's plans were the reason why the ASDA plan failed so it follows Lidl's application to do the same would fail.

Tesco is killing Stirchley.

Offline JPitcock

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »
As it says in www.bournvilleconservatives.com/95-lidl-wants-to-come-to-stirchley - if the Planners permitted the derelict ArvinMeritor site off Fordhouse Lane be used for retail (as Asda has twice applied for in 15 years) Lidl could build there instead and we could keep Stirchley's only leisure facility (it is also further away from the Co-Op, who successfully delayed Tesco).

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
Objections are now being taken.  Here's mine.  Bit of a rush job but you get the gist. 

The fitness first gym is the only gym in the area, the closest alternatives are in Kings Heath or Cotteridge.  One is much smaller and the other is mostly free weights.  I use fitness first 3 times a week and in the evenings it is very busy catering for a wide range of ages.  It offers a varied selection  of activities with good support from helpful and knowledgeable staff. 

The bowling alley frequently has offers for families which we take up.  It's a nice friendly venue and a good place to go with my wife and two children.  There is nothing similar for quite a distance.

On the other hand there are plenty of shops available.  The co-op is close by as is Farmfoods.  Tesco maintain their intention to build a supermarket.  If they do so and this application is granted we will have 4 supermarkets within a square mile, but no gym and no family based activity centre for older children. 

The removal of fitness first and PSL will erode two key community centres.  At a time when health is a key concern it makes little sense to replace two activity centres with yet another food store.

If the council are minded to give permission for Lidl to build in the area may I suggest that first Tesco be put to task to commit firmly its intentions in Stirchley either way.

Offline SusanPurplesky

• Stirchley The Way Forward
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »
I know it seems like Lydl are the bad guys, but really? Surely it is the landowner.  Does anyone actually know what Fitness First and the bowling think? Maybe the business is no longer viable or perhaps the landlord has put the rent up sky high?

We are probably getting a housing estate on the land at Fordhouse Lane, which is very likely to get planning permission as the country needs housing and therefore logical to expect another supermarket.

Perhaps someone could rent an overpriced room at the new Stirchley community centre and provide fitness classes?

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 07:54:48 PM »
Fitness First offers a damned sight more than zumba and pilates.

It's full most evenings so the custom is there. 

Valid point about the landlord, I guess he's been given a lucrative offer. 

Offline villan

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 11:40:01 PM »
Good point about Tesco making a commitment Kwacky, though i have to say i would prefer Lidl....just not at the expense of the gym and bowling.

Offline Kwacky

• Tankslap
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
I'm pretty certain Tesco have little interest in seeing through their plans. 

If Tesco are aware Lidl want into the area and that Lidl would be built before Tesco, then it makes good business sense for Tesco to sell one of the two plots to Lidl.  I'm sure the other plot would attract commercial or residential interest. 

Offline Jon Price

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 06:44:43 AM »
Lidl would be symptomatic of this area at present 'cheap and cheerful'. Why oh why do we want this supermarket as opposed to one of the market leaders. Still believe Tesco will come good on their promise. This store will be one of the bigger ones in Brum. Lidl is the Fine Fare of yesteryear. JP