Author Topic: 2015 Green Waste Service- Looks like they don't want people to subscribe  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Trace

I was one of the few to take advantage of the Green Waste service 2nd part of this year.  (I do compost, but have fast growing privet hedge and fir trees, difficult to compost down).  Got this email today, apparently my house which is a terrace with not much space out front, and steep steps is suitable for wheelie bins?  How I'd love to know, surely they don't expect people to drag through back alleyway, (which is often blocked with a neighbours rubbish, and some neighbours pushbikes).   I'd love to know who exactly has assessed my property as suitable for a wheelie bin.

Email from Council below. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This is an unmonitored address and replies to this email cannot be responded to or read. If you have any questions/comments please visit our website http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/gardenwaste.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for subscribing to the Council's garden waste service. The 2014 service is coming to an end and you can now renew your service for 2015.

You can purchase the service from 1 December 2014 by visiting our website www.birmingham.gov.uk/gardenwaste.

We will be keeping the annual fee for the service at just £35 with an Early Bird Discount of £5 for all customers who sign up by the end of December.

The fortnightly schedule for garden waste collections for the 2015 season starts on Monday 23 February. Your first collection of garden waste during this fortnight will be on the same day as your refuse collection in the alternate week to your general recycling collection. You can view collection dates at www.birmingham.gov.uk/refuse

For the 2014 collection season you were asked to self-assess your property as suitable or not suitable for a wheelie bin collection service. You self-assessed your property as not suitable for wheelie bins and you were provided with a sack collection service for your garden waste.

We have now completed our own assessments of all properties across the City and we believe that your property is suitable for a wheelie bin service – if you live in certain areas of the City you will already have been provided with wheelie bins for your recycling and rubbish collections.

If you renew the garden waste service for 2015 our intention will be to provide you with a wheelie bin service and I hope that you will quickly find that this is a more convenient and cleaner way of disposing of your waste. If you would like to discuss this change please e-mail me at GardenWaste2015@birmingham.gov.ukotherwise we look forward to receiving your order for the new season.

Yours sincerely

Kevin Mitchell

Assistant Director

Offline Trace

Re: 2015 Green Waste Service- Looks like they don't want people to subscribe
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Emailed Kevin Mitchell asking how my property was assessed as suitable for a wheelie bin?

Will see if I get reply.        :-\   

Offline villan

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Any luck with a reply yet  :)

Offline Trisha

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »
Hi Trace,
I also registered for wheelie bin for 2014 but found it difficult to maneuver bin through side entry. I have requested council to collect wheelie bin and will ask if I can have green sacks instead. Will let you know how I get on
Trisha

Offline Binman

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »
Probably be far too busy sunning himself on some Caribbean island,  despite the cuts which have decimated the service upper management have been immune throughout. Despite the posturing residents concerns regarding wheelie bin collection or anything else for that matter will be way down their priority list. The service will continue to deteriorate whilst B.C.C insist on a workforce made up of in the region of 70% agency staff with no continuity on rounds and the general apathy which this unfortunately brings

Offline Trace

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »
Hi Trish

Got a reply the other day, not from Kevin Mitchell, but from "Garden Waste Team".

Here it is below. 

Dear Tracey

Thank you for your garden waste enquiry.

If you wish to purchase the 2015 garden waste service at www.birmingham.gov.uk/gardenwaste we will deliver sacks to you and provide you with the alternative garden waste sack collection service.

The annual fee is £35.00 but if you purchase the service between 1st and 31st December 2014 you will receive a £5.00 Early Bird Discount.

We will not be delivering wheelie bins to your area for household rubbish (waste) or general recycling until October 2015.  We will communicate with you nearer the time to enable you to tell us why you believe your property is not suitable for wheelie bins.

Yours sincerely

Garden Waste Team

Offline Trace

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
So I'll probably sign up again, had no problem last year when they collected rolls.  But if they decide to suddenly introduce wheelie bins, that'll cause problems, kind of better on the other side of the road, as they've not go steep steps leading up to their house.
 In the ideal world, I'd be in favour of wheelie bins, but not practical here.  Will be interesting to see if they think it is come October 2015.  Like "Binman" says, a bit too much of the big bosses not listening to their workers, and even the residents, and people they're supposed to be serving.

Offline villan

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 07:45:27 PM »
As I heard someone else say recently.....use your vote in the local elections  ;)