Author Topic: Bulk waste collection  (Read 1511 times)

Offline villan

Bulk waste collection
« on: November 09, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »
So i looked online to see that i could book my bulk waste collection for £23 instead of £25.....not great considering we used to get this service as part of the council tax but i did it anyway. All fairly simple to do, just put the collection address (my mothers), pick a collection day and pay....easy peasy really.

I booked my collection day for the Thur 6th Nov and had an e-mail to say the job was in progress...wonderful. On Fri 7th Nov at about 9.30am i called over to moms to check the six items had been collected...oh dear, they were still sat outside the house.

Thinking it was just a mistake i rang the council, to be greeted with a "uh, don't know whats happened, someone will ring you." Now who this someone is i have no idea....the tea lady, loo cleaner or Lord Mayor, all very important people in their own way but sadly i don't get a call by lunchtime.

With the items still there at lunchtime i ring back, explain my situation to a slightly more interested lady who says the collection is booked for Nov 17th....yes thats right Nov 17th. I point out that the day i choose was Nov 6th only to be told there was nothing she could do, other than get someone to phone me, slightly better as it was going to be a manager this time. I tried to explain that i wanted the items picked up quickly as my mothers drive was blocked with the large items and she was expecting a new hospital bed delivery. Shes 88, bed bound and coming home from hospital any day but would not be able to get up the drive or be able to have the bed delivered. Sadly this information did not move the council telephonist who explained it was procedure to wait 24hrs for a call....but its the weekend and so that could be Monday now. I explained that i had also followed procedure, the council procedure of booking a day for bulk waste collection and paid for it with my card but this fell on deaf ears.

In frustration and to avoid going off on one i said my goodbyes to the lady and put the phone down for a few moments to compose myself again....possibly even have what we British always do in these situations, a cup of tea. Now having got myself back together and gathered my thoughts i rang for the third time....bearing in mind i had probably spent more than the £2 saving on listening to a range of options to get through to the right dep't again. Now i wasn't going to be messed about this time, asking for a manager straight away...the chap who answered was more obliging this time and put me through to one. Once again i explained my situation...you know the one about getting a collection day, paying etc etc.....and the manager said he would send an e-mail.....to whom i have no idea...the tea lady, loo cleaner or Lord Mayor maybe.

Clearly i'm not going to get anywhere with this i thought so put the kettle on again, put the tea bag in the cup and added an extra sweetner to give me some strength back.

There are a few things which confuse and annoy me to varying degrees about the whole sorry situation.
The council seem happy to take a paid for booking online and then make their own collection day up, not even letting you know they have altered the one chosen. They tell you to not put the waste out until the night before collection, but don't give any confirmation of the date other than to say the job is in progress on the e-mail, so if they can't provide the service paid for on the selected day how does one know this. Why even bother to give a choice of dates online if they are going to change it anyway.
The council customer service is completely useless in trying to sort out the issue, other than passing the buck to someone else....possibly the tea la.....no, you know by now.
The is no compassion for the customer, yes i consider myself a customer having paid for the service.
No thought or care that an old lady is stuck in hospital because the delivery of her required equipment is depending on access to her property.

As a last resort i called the councillor.....but you've guessed it, i'm waiting for him to call back  >:(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:31:32 PM by villan »

Offline villan

Re: Bulk waste collection
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:02:29 PM »
Ah, so it was collected on Thursday last week....so good job i didn't take it all back in to put out for 17th.
Oh well, the main thing is it was picked up, but the service is all over the place.
Just to mention, the councillor didn't even bother to ring back  :(

I'm trying again next week with some more bulk waste....all being well.

Offline villan

Re: Bulk waste collection
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
Last word on this issue.....just to point out that our local councillor Mr Huxtable did chase up the collection and it was his call that moved the council to action. It would of been nice to know that with a telephone call perhaps, but nevertheless well done to him and credit where its due.