Author Topic: Green waste  (Read 1808 times)

Offline villan

Green waste
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:27:21 AM »
A report on WM radio suggests from a binman that they are being offered overtime to clean up the streets of bags this weekend. Not confirmed by the council...but it sounds like something is happening.
Hardly fair for those that pay £35 for the bins but there you go.

Does this suggest that if people continue to put out the bags the council will clear them in the end....it looks that way  ;)

Offline Dave

Re: Green waste
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »
Confirmed here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27454582

Birmingham council pays overtime to clear rubbish backlog.

Refuse collectors in Birmingham are being paid overtime to pick up tonnes of green waste this weekend after a row over rubbish piling up on the streets.

A £35 charge was introduced for green waste collections in February.

Some residents have said they have not received bins, while others said waste had not been picked up.

The city council said a "one-off, targeted clear-up" would happen on Saturday and Sunday.

Local Liberal Democrat MP John Hemming has threatened court action against the council, claiming that fly-tipping has got worse since if the charge was introduced.

'Attracting dumping'
Both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats have targeted what they call the "garden tax" as a potential vote winner in elections.

Both parties have pledged to scrap the £35 charge if they gain control.

The Labour-run authority, however, said the scheme was expected to bring in more than £2m of income by the end of the financial year, which would help to offset cuts to other services.

Councillor James McKay, responsible for waste services, said the extra clear-up on Saturday and Sunday would target problem areas where rubbish has been piling up, but said the council could not afford to abandon the charge all together.

He said: "We recognise we're in a transition period. There is in some areas garden waste in the streets, which has been attracting some other dumping."

Offline phill61

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »
The council cannot afford to pick up the Green Waste. The £35 charge is a false economy because people will just fly tip and then it will cost them more in getting squads to clear it up.    ::)

Offline villan

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
If they were supposed to be clearing up the streets over the weekend, they might like to try again....there are still rubbish and green waste bags all over the area  :(

Offline Stirch

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:55:02 PM »
Cross posting this:

Dave's mentioned this before in one of his posts, but I thought it worth mentioning again considering the not inconsiderable fly-tipping of green waste across the locality.

Before the green garden waste collections started in 2006 (I think?!), what were we doing with all our garden waste? We weren't dumping it in bags on the street and in parks, that much I recall!

When the green waste collection charge came in this year, as frustrating as it was, I decided to compost my garden waste rather than pay the council for the service of collecting it. I bought a 300 litre compost bin from http://www.getcomposting.com/ (which was then about £15-20 cheaper than buying from DIY stores) and started shovelling stuff into it. Four months later, the bin's only about 1/5 full - and I have plenty of garden waste from major shrubbery and lawn antics - as well as compostable domestic waste, going into it. I've already saved money compared to the collection charge (it's already paid for itself and will continue to save me more given it's an annual charge) and also have the added bonus that I reduce what goes into the kitchen bin through composting vegetable peelings, egg shells, fruit cores, cardboard toilet and kitchen rolls, etc. It's rotting down so fast that I should have a decent mulch for my borders this autumn!

We've become use to the 'convenience' of sticking everything in a plastic bag and getting the council to take it away for us. As someone who subscribed to that mentality before the charge came in, I'm as guilty as the rest of us. But, I did make a conscious decision to revert to composting (as I had done before garden collections started, albeit less methodically) and I'm bloomin' glad I did.

After the constant reports of green waste collections not being picked up and horrid fly tipping happening (saw evidence of this in Hazelwell park on Saturday) I hope some others here find this helpful. Definitely recommend that you look at what's compostable and what's not (see http://www.getcomposting.com/composting_guide.html#making for some useful information) and don't put weeds in your compost (weeds are the only thing I still bag up and take to Lifford Lane tip).

:)