Author Topic: Have you got the space for 3 Wheelie Bins! ?  (Read 31641 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Have you got the space for 3 Wheelie Bins! ?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »
Would you trust BCC to run a pi** up in a brewery?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/birmingham-city-council-could-lose-1346315

Council could lose money on 'garden tax'
25 Feb 2013 08:00
'Serious  concerns' over green waste collection charge set to cost city.

PLANS to charge home owners £35 to collect green waste could cost the council £36.50 for every transaction, it has emerged.

A council tax billing contract with Capita-run company Service Birmingham means that to add the charge to bills could cost the city £36.50 each time – and end up with the service running at a loss.

To avoid this the council is considering asking residents to pay online or through a direct debit.

But opposition councillors say this could discriminate against people without regular bank accounts or computers.

Offline Dave

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 05:28:28 PM »
Update:

http://www.thechamberlainfiles.com/wheelie-bin-inspectors-to-assess-thousands-of-homes/7189

Wheelie bin inspectors to assess thousands of homes
By: Paul Dale
Published February 28, 2013, in Politics

Every house in the two areas of Birmingham chosen to pilot the switch to wheelie bins will be assessed by council inspectors to see whether it is suitable for the new system.

Those failing the wheelie test will be allowed to retain the existing plastic sack refuse service.

In a belt and braces effort to see off criticism by political opponents, Labour council leaders have also ordered teams of waste management staff to tour the city’s streets to iron out any problems once the wheeled bins are in use.

Before a single bin is delivered, homes in Harborne and Brandwood will be inspected and owners told by letter whether their property is suitable for the switch from sacks to wheelie bins.

Offline stirchleyOAP

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »
Do I want this problem in Clonmel Road?

I don't think so. I saw people having to step into the road to get past the bins.

Offline Mick Jones

• Administrator
    • Stirchley Website
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
Latest Birmingham Mail 2nd March 2013
HOUSEHOLDS in Birmingham will get two grey wheelie bins as the council changes the way it collects rubbish, it has emerged.

Details of the new refuse collection service, which is being tested in Harborne and Brandwood from May ahead of a city-wide roll-out next year, have been issued by council cabinet member for bins James McKay.
In a report to fellow councillors he has revealed that a grey bin with a blue lid will be used for glass, cans and plastic bottles with an insert box for paper and card.

The other all-grey bin will be used for remaining household waste. Garden waste will continue to be collected in sacks this year, until it becomes a pay-touse service in 2014.

All homes in Harborne and Brandwood will be assessed ahead of the roll-out to ensure they are suitable for wheelie bins.

Coun McKay (Lab, Harborne) said that there will be surveys and assessment of all parts of the pilot scheme. The council has also launched a consultation on wheelie bins online and at libraries.
www.stirchley.co.uk

Offline Dave

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »

More:

http://birminghamagainstthecuts.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/is-the-council-about-to-throw-away-hundreds-of-thousands-of-pounds-buying-german-wheelie-bins/

Is The Council About To Throw Away Hundreds Of Thousands Of Pounds Buying Expensive German Wheelie Bins?

Offline Dave

Offline Dave

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
Another update :

http://www.thechamberlainfiles.com/council-to-red-card-homes-unsuitable-for-wheelie-bins/7663

Occupants of properties deemed unsuitable for wheelie bins will be handed a football-style red card by Birmingham City Council.

The colour indicates that inspectors have decided that a house or flat has steps that are too steep, is on a slope, has insufficient storage space for a wheelie bin, or is inaccessible for collection vehicles.

However, householders in homes considered suitable for wheelie bins will receive a green card alerting them to expect a delivery of the new bins in due course.

Red cards will contain information about alternative refuse collection options and explain whether householders can continue to use plastic sacks.

The notification system is the latest example of the bureaucracy underpinning the introduction of wheelie bins. One of the largest consultation exercises ever held in Birmingham created embarrassing headlines for the council after residents were asked about their sexual orientation and religious beliefs, but not whether they actually wanted a wheelie bin.

Every house in the city will have to be inspected to see whether it is suitable for wheelie bins.

Offline villan

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
My bins can stay exactly where they leave them...i will just carry my black bags out and dump themin the bins where they stand. The alternative is to just put my rubbish into the litter bins as i pass daily.

Offline Dave

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
@ villan

Good idea.
I have that opportunity also.

More:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/16000-harborne-brandwood-homes-wheelie-2769473

More than 16,000 homes in two Birmingham suburbs have been rated as suitable for controversial wheelie bins.

More than 90 per cent of households in Harborne and Brandwood, the areas testing the scheme, have been told they will receive a bin later this year.

Fewer than 1,000 homes were considered unsuitable.

In Brandwood, 96.7 per cent of low rise properties received green cards to show they were suitable for wheelie bins.

That figure was 91.9 per cent in Harborne.

Offline Dave

Offline Thomo0903

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »
Not wanting to be contreversial, but am I the only person who is really excited about the wheelie bins? Coming from outside Birmingham nobody I know can understand why we have so much rubbish on our streets. It really looks an absolute state at the moment. I mean at the moment we literally place bags of rubbish on the road outside our houses every week. How can that seem like a good thing?

I am also sick of having to keep recycling in the kitchen to prevent it from getting wet and blowing about, and having to keep to just one bin bag of rubbish a week as we don't have an outdoor bin. I think it will be wonderful when everything can just go straight in the wheelie bin.

I understand that anytime anything changes people get all nostaligic about the way things are. And I also understand that some people have no front garden, and so no obvious place to keep a wheelie bin. Honestly though I am sure it will be fine. I mean it works in every other place in the country!

Anyway, not wanting to cause an argument, but I really think the reaction to a very sensible and useful modernisation seems very extreme.

Offline villan

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
Don't forget the web chat if you have any questions...  http://birminghamnewsroom.com/2013/04/join-us-for-a-wheelie-bin-webchat-on-may-8/

Offline Dave

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 09:04:11 AM »
More skullduggery from BCC ?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birmingham-council-wheelie-bins-email-3888018

"Big Brother" Birmingham council urges staff to support wheelie bins
21 May 2013 07:30
Probe launched after staff get email urging them to back new refuse collections.

Council lawyers are investigating claims of a ‘Big Brother’-style abuse of private employee information – after scores were asked to promote wheelie bins.

Birmingham City Council has been accused of breaching data protection policies after targeting staff living in the Brandwood ward, where the bins are to be introduced from next week.

There is also a concern that staff are being asked to promote what has been a politically contentious policy, in a move described as ‘Orwellian’.

It said: “The council’s HR records show that you are an employee of the city council who lives in Brandwood ward.

“Could I please ask for your support during the implementation of the new services over the next few weeks?”

Council Tilsley (Sheldon) said: “This is abuse of personal information.

“They have used the HR records to locate people in the area and used that information to tell them to promote what is a very contentious council policy.

“It must breach data protection. Personal information is supposed to be confidential and certainly not used for political promotion. It’s all very Big Brother.”

The council has said that an investigation is now under way. A spokeswoman said: “We have emailed council staff living in Brandwood, using their work email addresses, to ask them to support the roll out of wheelie bins in their wards by supplying them with key information on the scheme.

Offline Dave

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2013, 12:55:17 AM »
Update: 02/06/13

http://deirdrealden.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/green-carded-houses-which-dont-seem-suitable-for-wheelie-bins/

Green Carded Houses Which Don’t Seem Suitable For Wheelie Bins
Posted on June 1, 2013 by Deirdre Alden
I suspect there are many residents across the city who have been reassured by the Council’s promise that if their house is not suitable for a wheelie bin, they won’t have to have one.

Today I was invited to take a look at some terraced houses whose occupants know only too well that what the Labour Council classes as unsuitable for a wheelie bin, and what they class as unsuitable for a wheelie bin is not the same thing at all.

The residents live in terraced properties in Harborne. They were assessed in the spring, and will be getting their wheelie bins in the next couple of weeks as Harborne is a pilot ward.

These particular terraces have a passageway leading to the rear of the properties which is shared by 12 houses. Six to the left, and six to the right. If you lived in the end one of these therefore, and you kept your wheelie bin at the back of your property, on bin day you would have to wheel EACH of your wheelie bins past the back of 6 houses, down the passageway, and then along the fronts of 6 houses to get it outside your own property. That’s up to 36 wheelie bins being moved along the shared passageway on bin day – it could become quite a traffic jam.  The passageways also have pipes in them, and if they are damaged, residents are liable.

It seems the Council has assumed these residents won’t keep their wheelie bins at the back of their properties, because they have admitted they have assessed the properties on whether or not there is space at the front to store the wheelie bins.

Each of these Victorian terraced properties has a small front garden, which is the width of the house  (front door and reception room with bay window), and about 8?-10? deep. Those who have laid out the whole plot to garden (so would have to store the wheelie bins on their flowers or grass) have been given red cards (only after a fight in some cases as the original assessment was done in the snow and the assessors couldn’t see if the frontages were garden or paving so assumed there was somewhere to store bins when there wasn’t always.)

Those who have some paving in the front garden have been green carded, on the basis that they can store the wheelie bins on their frontage. In some cases this will have to be directly in front of the bay window – but the Council appears to care not. They have been green carded, and two wheelie bins they will get.

The road is very attractive, with hedges and nicely maintained front gardens (whether they’re paved with bushes, pots or whatever, or laid to lawn and flowers).  Soon the fear is it will resemble a sea of wheelie bins – with two in each small front garden (three in some once the green wheelie bin system comes in next year), and the prospect of people having to look out of their front bay windows straight onto their wheelie bins.

What is the alternative? To store the bins permanently on the pavement? One resident asked at the Harborne Wheelie Bin Roadshow if he could do this, and was told he could be fined if he did.

Not surprisingly, the residents I spoke to this morning are upset about it – and I can see why. I wouldn’t want to have my wheelie bins permanently stored directly outside, and covering part of, my lounge window. There is a large amount of terraced housing in Birmingham, and I foresee this scenario repeating itself endlessly over the coming months – with a lot more people feeling as angry as the Harborne Residents I met with this morning.

Offline Dave

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
More..........of the same:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/labelled-ugly-hideous-tide-turns-4302724

Labelled 'ugly' and 'hideous' but tide turns as wheelie bins rolled out to city homes
12 Jun 2013 07:48

It’s the issue that has divided the city. With wheelie bin collections under way in Birmingham, environment reporter Mary Griffin examines the controversy.

They have been labelled “ugly”, “hideous” and “monstrosities”.

But that isn’t stopping Birmingham Council from rolling out wheelie bins to the majority of the city’s 400,000 homes.

They are already being used in Brandwood ward, which falls within the authority’s Selly Oak district, and will be in action on the streets of Harborne from June 24.

Once the Labour-run council is satisfied with the two pilot schemes, the roll-out will continue across the city.

More than 80 per cent of councils nationwide already use wheelie bins, claiming they cut costs and boost recycling.

Yet the issue has proved explosive among city taxpayers with opponents blasting the bins as eyesores, cumbersome to move and impractical to store.

Rival Tory councillors also claimed they would not boost recycling rates and accused the council of railroading residents into the change without proper consultation.

The issue has regularly dominated the Mail’s letters pages. A total of 42 letters were published on the subject over the past three months.

Just seven endorsed wheelie bins – but five times as many were against them.

But, despite a vociferous opposition on paper, research suggested the quiet majority would welcome the new bins.

A council survey found 58 per cent of people thought the streets would be cleaner with wheelie bins and 61 per cent said there would be less vermin.

Crucially, 50 per cent agreed they would be good for the city, while 36 per cent disagreed and 14 per cent were unsure.

The Mail has twice polled the opinion of our readers online.

In April we asked “Are you happy with wheelie bins coming to Brum?” and found a 64 per cent to 36 per cent split in favour.

Similar results were recorded when we recently asked: “Are you glad to see wheelie bins arrive?” A total of 70 per cent of respondents said: “Yes”.

A three-month wheelie bin trial in Bournbrook, organised by Birmingham University and the council, saw wheelie bins rolled out to 1,200 student homes across six streets.

A later survey found the number of pavements in the area with “unsatisfactory” litter levels had dropped from 75 per cent to just nine per cent.

Birmingham City Council bid for £29 million of government cash to buy the bins.

It pledged to “significantly” increase residents’ rubbish collection satisfaction rate from 79 per cent to 90 per cent.

The authority also aimed to improve Birmingham’s recycling rate of just 34 per cent – one of the worst in the country.

The councillor charged with winning over the public, James McKay, admitted that money matters lay behind the roll-out.

He said: “We face a financial crisis. We have to make £600 million of cuts and we simply can’t afford the current service.

“If we carry on as we are, we face an £8 million budget gap between the cost of the service and the money available to provide it, because landfill tax is rising to £80 per tonne and we have a growing population producing more waste.

“If you want bin bags, show me the libraries and swimming pools you would close to fund them.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If you want bin bags, show me the libraries and swimming pools you would close to fund them.”

Perhaps we should look at the pay and perks of being a Councillor for BCC ?
Might add up to a few quid  ;)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:07:19 AM by Dave »