Author Topic: Co-operative’s v Tesco  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Jon Price

• Global Moderator
Re: Co-operative’s v Tesco
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 04:40:47 AM »
In my humble opinion BOTH of these supermarkets are done deals.Asda will definately be built before Tesco,but they will be in situ in the near future.How else could the proposed road enhancements and new builds be afforded?Bring on both stores sooner rather than later.
We all have a choice that if we feel the local Cllrs have been inept in their dealings with local and national organisations vote 'em out at the next opportunity!     JP

Offline villan

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
Yes it does sound as though the councillors have been taken in with the thought of putting a few pounds in the coffers...sadly at the expense of the local community.
Perhaps if the council stopped wasting money on bizzare rhinos in the newly founded and very discriminatory 'gay quarter' and other schemes, there would be money for much needed affordable housing and roads infrastructure.
Of course Tesco and Asda will be successful...otherwise they wouldn't be building them, but i await with interest to see any benefit from them for the area (thats not including the council offices).
Of course there is the opportunity to vote accordingly at the next election....but sadly the few who will have to put up with the mess on a daily basis are not the majority who live away from 'The Village'. 

Offline villan

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 05:42:42 PM »
Taken from the minutes of the last meeting..."Bournville Lane Baths/Tesco: the allocation of £3.9 million by BCC for the refurbishment of the Baths was questioned, as this money was thought to be guaranteed by Tesco.  Councillor Huxtable responded that Tesco may still not go ahead and that the current cost of the refurbishment and the relocation of the Indoor Bowls exceeded the sum raised through the sale of the Community Centre to Tesco.  Emma Larkinson (Stirchley Prospects) expressed her disappointment that the proposed Tesco development would result in a net reduction in resources available to the local community.  Councillor Huxtable disputed this assertion and highlighted recent instances of investment in Stirchley including the provision of new play equipment, wayfinding lights along the River Rea and “pocket” parks."

Looks like there is already some questioning over Tecso's investment in the community...and they havn't even started yet, Usually they wait untill everything is at least signed up for them. Nothing new,  except some will be taken in by their promises.

Offline villan

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »
So now Birmingham Council is questioning itself on the conditions of a planning application approved in Erdington. Once again it looks like there are still serious questions that need to be asked concerning the competence of the council.
Is there something being gained by the council but not being considered for the general good of the community it represents one might ask. Its certainly the case in Stirchley and now Erdington is being ridden roughshod over. When other areas of the country have realised too late that supermarkets don't offer everything they promise, Birmingham Council has not woken up yet.

Offline Woolley_thinking

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
http://www.birminghampost.net/news/politics-news/2012/04/30/council-too-quick-to-condemn-stirchley-baths-says-birmingham-mp-65233-30872032/
Steve McCabe has called for the council to reconsider the plans for Stirchley Baths, partly because there has been insufficient public consultation. Good to see some opposition to Dawkins, and the possibility that the plans might be developed through a more meaningful and inclusive consultation process - surely it can only enhance the economic sustainability of any new use for the Baths.

Offline phill61

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »
Why is Steve Mcabe getting involved he's not a councillor, i remember once asking him to help me regarding an issue in my road and he told me to go to the council.  ???

Offline villan

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
I would imagine its because his Constituency Office would be moved to the site...along with Cotteridge Neighbourhood Office. There may have been a little knowledge of the meetings in Stirchley but i doubt Selly Oak and Cotteridge residents were really aware of them. Perhaps there should be some kind of notice put up in the Cotteridge Neighbourhood Office to inform the visitors that their office may move to Stirchley.

I didn't see the article in the Birmingham Post but it is also in the Birmingham Mail  http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2012/05/01/row-over-future-of-stirchley-baths-97319-30872768/

Not only are the local residents being treated with contempt its now being heaped on the rest of the Birmingham council tax payers. Its interesting to read how it is part of a wider regeneration...i would hardly consider a couple of supermarkets and a hardstanding for a farmers market groundbreaking.

Offline villan

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
In my humble opinion BOTH of these supermarkets are done deals.Asda will definately be built before Tesco,but they will be in situ in the near future.How else could the proposed road enhancements and new builds be afforded?Bring on both stores sooner rather than later.
We all have a choice that if we feel the local Cllrs have been inept in their dealings with local and national organisations vote 'em out at the next opportunity!     JP

On a local level it would appear that the community do think the Cllrs have been inept with their dealings.

Offline villan

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »

Well now the people have voted and they obviously did feel that the local Cllrs have been inept in their dealings.

Offline Graham Dilley

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
Hi Villan. Hardstanding for a farmers' market? Chance would have been good but don't think the original plans even went that far. More like two supermarkets and two car parks.

Do you know if Asda has been approved yet? Seems like the Council are dragging their heels whilst waiting for the Tesco saga to be resolved.

Offline villan

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
The planning application (2011/03485/PA) status is just listed as 'registered' as of today Graham. I suspect you are correct in saying there needs to be some resolution to the Tesco saga before anything happens.

Offline Mick Jones

• Administrator
    • Stirchley Website
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »
I dont think The Tesco deal will affect the Asda plans, I think there is a decision to be made on the latest plans later this month.
There is further details about the baths on the bournvillevillage
www.stirchley.co.uk

Offline Graham Dilley

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Hello Mick, sorry, are you saying that you think a decision on Asda will be reached later this month?

The Asda approval seems to be taking a long time to me, and I was wondering if the Tesco situation might be affecting the process in an unspoken way?

Offline Graham Dilley

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 09:39:22 AM »
Another question (to the forum as a whole): on 29 March Woolley_thinking said that the figure coming in from Tesco was about £5million. On Twitter Cllr Sealey has confirmed this. He also said it would be split £3.5 million to the baths and £1.5 million to the bowls. Does anyone know how the suggested road improvements are going to be covered?

Offline Rev Gary Cadge

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 11:58:12 AM »
tesco would be paying for road alterations out of a different part of their development budget