Author Topic: Persistent flooding at Bournville Station Bridge  (Read 141 times)

macsco

• View Profile
Persistent flooding at Bournville Station Bridge
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »
On May 20th an informal meeting of residents, Amey and Council representatives took place at the Stirchley side of the bridge.
The Amey representative told us they had cleaned out all gullies (drains) in the previous weeks,and were at a loss.
I pointed out that this was clearly untrue, as we were stood next to a gully that was blocked with 700mm of sand/soil debris. (Determined with a dipstick) and this was not the only one. A cleaning truck was called for immediately, but the blockages were so bad a further truck attended the following day.
Meanwhile Iqbal Sangha from Flood Management kicked off the discussion by telling me he was more concerned with house flooding than road flooding (a strange comment to make at a meeting to determine what to do about road flooding). He added that I saw flooding as being caused by a blocked gully as simplistic and that it was a much more complex issue. (I agree, but don't you start with the basics?)
Following my own investigation I pointed out that the huge Mondelez car park (in excess of 10,000 sq. mts.) Sloped down, with its lowest point being only 30 metres from the bridge. And that on my inspection I found every gully blocked.
This is also the case of 8 out of 10 gullies on Franklin Way.
And how did Mr Sangha take this new information?
He said it was private land and nothing they could do.
Fortunately Cllr. Mary Locke was in attendance and the information was immediately passed to Mondelez, who took it seriously.
Sadly, as of today no additional works have taken place. Hopefully Mondelez is planning them.
The promised road sweeping to remove the 'beach' has not happened, cleaning the blocked gully (400mm deep) as you enter the bridge Mondelez side has not happened.
As a result the bridge was again flooded yesterday (5.00 pm 4th June) to the extent the cars wake were covering the pavement and splashing up the bridge wall. It required carefull timing to look at the traffic lights and Run!
In short, there is far too much rainwater arriving at the bridge (Mondelez) and there is too little maintenance to keep the gullies clear (Amey).
When Mr Sangha told me that if a gully were cleaned it could be blocked again within a week, so why bother, I knew it was time to walk away.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:47:52 PM by macsco »

midweb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Persistent flooding at Bournville Station Bridge
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »
Hi thanks for the post i will post a link to this on twitter and hopefully can be brought up at mondays Neighbourhood Forum Meetin