Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Topics - midweb

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
1
Hello fellow residents and traders,

Stirchley, the Way Forward appreciates the communities’ comments and welcome successful engagement on how Section 106 funding should be spent in Stirchley.

We have been informed by Councillor Locke she has overwhelmingly agreed to extend the consultation until August 31st.

The Section 106 money is in total £177,000. £50,000 of which the council has allocated to Stirchley Library for urgent repairs. This leaves £127,000.
Back in 2015 there were prolonged discussions around the Tesco S106 money. The critical criteria provided to the council by Tesco was funding was to be used by June 2024. If unused it should be refunded to Tesco. The fund to obtain improvement to public realm for Stirchley. Within line of sight of the proposed now nonexistent Tesco Store. For the purposes of our proposal this, the criterion still stands. Public Realm included frontages of retail premises. We have checked this is accurate with officers of Birmingham City Council.
After many inconclusive meetings the decision was for StWF to host two public meetings which were 21.3.17 and 5.4.17
16 separate groups’ clubs attended. With many inspiring ideas how the money should be employed. One group had negotiated with Tesco to provide art in Stirchley. The store wasn’t developed so this particular funding wasn’t made available to the community under the S106 agreement.
2017 The meeting decided to establish a standalone group to oversee the scheme benefiting residents and traders. Those traders which had seen their high street deteriorate in the previous 20 years. The proposal to be overseen with all due application and governance by officers of Birmingham City Council.

No consensus could be achieved.   StWF a not for profit organisation represent a constituted group. The decision was made by the meeting attendees StWF would gather ideas and forward them to the council.

StWF meetings are open to the public, and their minutes are published on the website www.stirchleytwf.co.uk all but one meeting discussed the S106 money. Many good ideas but none which fulfilled the criteria. Pete Walker has also hosted meeting where the S106 has been in discussion.
In answer to one residents query StWF members are all volunteers including residents and traders. Neither the group nor any member receives any funding payments or otherwise from Birmingham City Council or other source. Our source of income comes from donations and hosting community events. The mention of £10,000 isn’t for the committee and is not a privilege it would be utilized to pay for Council consultants to oversee the project. Should we receive approval? Any project approved and going forward would be project managed by an officer of Birmingham City Council. Decision on schemes and money would be made by Birmingham City Council not StWF.
After consulting and face to face meetings with traders, neighbours and residents we bring to your attention the following.
Three crucial points:
1.
“StWF have identified a method to brighten up and improve the High St, (Pershore Rd from Cartland Rd to Fireworks Shop), using £100,000 from the Tesco section 106.
  We are looking to subsidise improvement schemes to shop fronts.  Businesses will be required to repay a significant sum toward any proposed improvement.  Creating more disabled access compliant shops. Encouraging many shops to install planting tubs, hanging baskets and litter bins on forecourts. The overriding aim is to encourage businesses to maintain a sense of civic pride in Stirchley. Hopefully rekindling their personal sense of belonging to the village”

2.
“The scheme hopefully will encourage businesses to engage with the heritage of the area and our artisan and cultural enterprises.”

3.
“In submitting the application, it has also opened up an opportunity to access a larger pot of government funding.
(the future high street fund) we hope our application for that will be successful and will acquire a substantial investment for Stirchley, if it wasn’t for the section 106 proposals from StWF we would have been ineligible for a chance at a  more generous sum which we may be granted from central government.

StWF are appreciative the residents and traders are prepared to engage with this project. Can we ask for no further abuse to any of our committee members or Councillor on social media?
The community should be working together to bring change for the better to Stirchley.

Susan MacLean

Secretary on behalf of members of Stirchley, the Way Forward (not for profit)

8th July 2019.





2
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of Meeting, Monday 10th June 2019
Held in Stirchley Community Church

Present:
Paula Aubrey, Ann Newbold, Sandra Cooper, Peter Walker, Margaret Walker (Committee members) + 26 members of the public.
Apologies:
Rowena Evans, Mick Jones (Committee Members), West Midlands local Police team.

Minutes of Last Meeting: 
Were accepted as a true record.

Matters Arising:
i.   Burnt out cars mentioned in a previous meeting – not removed yet?
ii.   Repeated acute flooding under Bournville Lane Bridge following heavy rain, ongoing….
iii.   Damaged trees in Stirchley Park.
iv.   Ongoing Planning Issues – these were mentioned/discussed later in the meeting with new applications.

Police Update:
As local reps from WMP not able to attend our meeting this evening there were no specific updates [but they continue to frequently distribute updates via email to those who have signed up for them].

Planning Update: presented by SC.
i.   The day after our last meeting, SNF and residents had been informed that Article 4 planning controls (referred to by Mr Toon in his presentation at our last meeting) are to become city wide, currently this is in 6/52 consultation period, so it was requested that if anyone from Stirchley makes any comments, please would they inform PW.  Comments are to be made by 18/07/19.  Landlords will now be required to buy a licence for a proposed HMO.
ii.   Application re house on corner of Twyning Road/Ripple Rd  (to build extension and make into 11 rooms) has been refused, SC asked us to note reasons stated included “…adversely affect the area…” and “…unduly dominant…”, also that there had been no comments made by Environmental Agency or Transportation Dept.  The opinion was expressed that it is likely that the applicant will make a further but altered application regarding the same site.
iii.   Application re property near junction of Windsor Rd/Fordhouse Lane/ Pershore Road for increase to 7 rooms refused.  SC requested that if local residents notice a dormer window appearing in this property they should report it.
iv.   Current application for house in Bournville Lane to increase number of rooms to 7 – no decision yet.
v.   Seven Capital application – SC has put in comments on behalf of SNF; we have not heard anything further about this issue.
vi.   Three Horseshoes Pub – it is noted that demolition has begun in the area pertinent to this application.
vii.   Site at corner of Mary Vale and Pershore Roads – no further news, cellar remains exposed and contains a quantity of rain water.
viii.   New Application: 1377 Pershore Road (Alicia’s) – to use garden to seat max. 25 people & as occasional cooking area 12 md – 9.30 p.m.  Comments to be made by 04/07/19; this application would be of particular interest to residents of the east-side of Lea House Road where gardens back onto properties on Pershore Road.  Those present in this meeting were not against SC making relevant comments.
ix.   New Application (today): 1406-1408 Pershore Rd. (estate agent) – SC has not been able to study this application in detail yet but it was agreed that she could make fitting comments e.g. about car parking issues.

New Agenda Items:

Late Summer Bash:
      Events licence has now been granted to hold this annual event that is planned to take place on 31st August. Volunteers for delivering leaflets are needed before the event and then on the day to help erect and later set down gazebos.
      BCC now ask for Amusement Device Inspection Procedures Scheme (ADIPS) and Health & Safety reports from us.
      Charges for stalls are £20 for businesses but free for charities.
      Need prizes for Raffle (the total worth of prizes donated last year came to £2.500).

Updates from Councillor Mary Locke:
i.   ML wants Stirchley Ward to become a Pioneer one, she will make the application. This is a new scheme.
ii.   ML has accepted offer of a barrow and other equipment (from official source) to aid with litter picks.
iii.   The Ward now has (or will have soon) a graffiti cleaning kit.
iv.   In Sept ML is hoping to have a summit for local businesses.
v.   S106 monies from the Tesco planning application: £50.000 has already gone towards Stirchley Library needs. A proposal from STWF has gone in.  Meeting ongoing regarding the remainder funds.
vi.   The former Constituency Office on Pershore Road – no real news at the moment.
vii.   ‘High Street Funding’ – ML has made an ‘expression of interest’.
viii.   Next Ward Forum is to be held in Grace Church, Dell Road Cotteridge on 25/06/19








Any Other Business:
i.   CoCoMAD is to take place in Cotteridge Park on 06/07/19
ii.   Dads Lane Community Centre – next meeting to discuss future management of this local facility is planned for 7.30 p.m. on 12/06/19 at said venue.  The couple currently doing the job want to retire so a new team/committee is required to take over, but there has been long-term difficulty in finding willing folk.
iii.   SC mentioned that she is a volunteer at ‘The Birmingham Lock-Up’ which it is hoped will be the new venue for the police museum. The workers hope to gain funding from the national Lottery (Lotto)) so, if people have not visited this historical attraction yet, the project organisers would like to find out the reasons.
iv.   A member of the public with connection to the ‘Women Against State Pension Injustice’ organisation informed the meeting that women born between 06/03/1954 and 05/11/1954 are now eligible for a Concessionary /Women’s Bus and Metro Travel Pass valid from 02/07/2019.
v.   A member of the public made the comment that folk who live in an HMO need to be encouraged to join in the community and not ‘pushed out’ by their neighbours.
vi.   A representative from ‘Go Wild’ had available some leaflets advertising free Bushcraft sessions that take place every Tuesday 10 – 3.  For anyone wanting more information please call Alan on 07813 301 437.  www.suslife.uk.
vii.   AN mentioned that the former Powder Coatings site is being used and now being rented out to 2 organisations.
viii.   Untidy area/dumped waste on - or near to - Avery Dell industrial estate. ML to note and request removal of same, please.
   
Date of Next Meeting:
     Monday 8th July 2019, 7.30 p.m. at Stirchley Community Church. 
     Gary Haywood from South Birmingham Community Radio has been booked to make a presentation.
     As usual, the local Police and Councillor are invited to bring any relevant updates.

(Minutes for today’s meeting were recorded by PA in the absence of RE)




3
PRESENTING THE MUSIC OF
DUKE ELLINGTON
KINDA DUKISH
BIG BAND
 8.30pm Thursday July 11th
The Highbury
Dads Lane Moseley B13 8PQ
£5/£4
0121 444 4129 

4
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of the meeting held on 13th May 2019
, Stirchley Community Church
Present:   37: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Members of the Forum’s management committee, Cllr Locke
Apologies:   3
Peter Walker took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on 8th April 2019 were circulated and agreed as a true record.
Matters arising
Bournville Lane flooding: Cllr Locke has set up a meeting on 20th May with local residents, council officers and the Environment Agency to discuss measures to alleviate the problem.
Dads Lane Community Association: SC reported meetings of interested parties were ongoing; she proposed the Forum support these where possible, as the Association is a community asset and local venue.
Policing update
Sgt Sam Bonehill updated the Forum on recent activity. 
New team members: Sgt Bonehill introduced PCSO Lisa, PC Paul Rimell and Inspector David Murray, formerly of the RAF, who will be with Bournville for 4 weeks as part of a new direct entry system.   
Drugs warrants: a number of warrants have been executed recently; please share any information which may help WMP interrupt the supply of drugs into the local area. ANPR information is particularly valuable.
Burglaries and car thefts: there have been 4 arrests for burglaries, 3 related to Greenoak Crescent. Once again residents were asked to share any information that could identify perpetrators. 
Dashcams continue to be stolen by opportunistic thieves; also shed break-ins.
Former firework shop: 2 males who were using the derelict building as a base have been arrested. Ashley Carter has received a suspended sentence with conditions to stay away from the area overnight and Dean Perry has been committed to the Crown Court.   
Following the recent fire, Cllr Locke contacted BCC Planning Enforcement who declared the building structurally sound; a section 125 order has been served on the London based owner requiring them to make immediate improvements or BCC will take possession. 
Traffic offences: WMP continue to enforce the new 20 mph speed limit and issue parking tickets.
Sgt Bonehill has been in contact with Jenny Coombs, BCC Senior Transportation Officer with responsibility for Transportation Behavioural Change. JC has agreed to install more 20 mph signage on Cartland Road. PCSO Blackford invited JC to speak at a Forum meeting; she initially declined as new signage had already been agreed but PCSO Blackford will send another invitation as there are still many concerns about the 20 mph zones, including dangerous overtaking by motorists.
PCSO Blackford explained the 20 mph zones are a 3 year trial in south Birmingham which will run until November 2021. Further signage may be considered after the trial period.
A resident questioned how success of the trial would be measured; PCSO Blackford explained the principal aim was to calm traffic and encourage more walking and cycling. Concerns were raised about increased pollution caused by driving in low gears.   
ASB on Sparrey Drive: a local resident reported finding large numbers of miniature vodka bottles in the woodland area.
Houses of Multiple Occupation      
Barry Toon from the Selly Oak residents’ group addressed the Forum on issues around HMOs. BT explained HMOs now dominated the Bournbrook area, where family housing has been converted to HMOs to serve the student population. Conversions are often poorly carried out, with inadequate thermal or sound insulation creating very low quality rented accommodation for people on low incomes. Aesthetically, the proliferation of extensive loft conversions has blighted the traditional roofscape of terraced houses. The creation of 7/8 bed houses from 3 bed homes also puts pressure on local services such as water, drainage, gas and broadband. When students move out in July, up to 100 tonnes of rubbish are dumped onto the streets, which then has to be dealt with by BCC. Students are also a target for burglars, and Bournbrook has a higher than average rate for burglaries.  BT suggested HMO landlords are driven purely by a drive to generate the maximum income from a property, and any profit they make is taken out of the local area. 
BT outlined recent research which shows student numbers are now declining, and in areas where de-studentification takes place, HMOs switch from student accommodation to supported housing for asylum seekers, ex-offenders and people with mental health conditions. Rooms are let on individual tenancies, which can lead to conflict between residents who are not being adequately supervised. BT stated there were already signs this was happening in Bournbrook, with landlords putting properties on the market for £400K to realise their profits.
BT explained the aims of the Article 4 Area Planning Controls that have been introduced in areas around Bournbrook: these seek to remove the permitted development rights around HMOs where more than 10% of properties within a 100m radius are already HMOs. Stirchley is not in the area covered by the directive, but BCC may extend the system citywide within the next 12 months.
SC stated there were 4 current applications for HMOs in Stirchley, including an 11 bed property on Ripple Rd that was not student housing and was likely to be supported living. BT suggested residents based objections around parking, density of occupation and lack of amenity space; if more than 7 individual objections are received – not including petitions – then the application will go to committee which gives an opportunity to speak against it. SC also questioned whether there was any current research to support the assertion in planning applications that there was demand for student housing in Stirchley. 
BCC holds a public register of HMOs but SC noted it was not completely up to date. Once an HMO has been approved, local residents should report any problems to WMP and BCC; it may be possible to have the HMO licence removed.
In response to a question from a resident, SC explained some HMO applications were rejected but none had been recently; she added HMOs in Stirchley appeared to generate very few complaints. A BCC officer should carry out a renewal inspection of all HMOs but as there are only 10 licensing inspectors it was unlikely conditions on all properties were being checked.   
Planning update      
Seven Capital: SC read out her proposed comments on behalf of the Forum on the planning application; this included the following points: the absence of any community consultation despite several invites from the Forum; a lack of analysis of current trade in Stirchley; opposition to the drive through as the Forum opposes any new takeaways; support for a gym if it is affordable; questions about local community benefit; concerns about increased traffic; poor pedestrian and cycle access to the site across the Pershore Rd with no confirmed pedestrian crossings; a request for up to 3 hours free parking; provision of public realm for community events; parking bays for houses across the Pershore Rd from the site; a proposal for small low cost units adjacent to the British Oak. 
Susan Maclean from STWF reported most traders were in favour of the scheme, but agreed the need for pedestrian crossings and works to improve the derelict triangle site.
A representative of Super Stirchley questioned what effect this application would have on 2 other supermarket applications at either end of the high street; SC confirmed these would likely be rejected if the Seven Capital proposal goes ahead.
One resident was disappointed the proposed supermarket was described as “budget”. Another raised the lack of vehicular connection between the retail and residential sites, and noted there were only 2 roads giving access to the proposed new houses. The lack of any affordable housing was also raised; Seven Capital have said this is not economically viable but without it residents questioned how the development would contribute to a balanced and vibrant community.
Following a suggestion by Cllr Locke, SC will add in concerns about the access road to Stirchley United; another resident requested concerns about surface flooding are also included.
PW thanked SC for all her work in producing the comments.

AOB      
Japanese knotweed: residents were asked to check their gardens for this invasive weed.
Upcoming events
Saturday 1st June, Stirchley Fete at Stirchley Baths
Date of the next meeting
Monday 10th June, 7.30 pm in Stirchley Community Church



Disclaimer notice on behalf of the Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum Management Committee
1. The Management Committee does not normally have prior knowledge of items which will be raised as Any Other Business, but the Management Committee will help facilitate such items where it does have prior knowledge, and which are in the interests of Stirchley.
2. The Forum is not aligned to any political party or one group and hence will hold a neutral stance in all political items which are raised at the meetings; the Forum may take a stance (positive/negative) on planning applications discussed at the meeting or on changes to community/neighbourhood services which affect the Forum area
3. The Forum’s Management Committee will not allow a person or organisation to use the Forum’s meeting as a means to any political end.
4. All residents and businesses within the Forum’s area have the right to attend and speak at the meeting.  Business owners, not resident within the forum area, have a right to attend and speak at SNF meetings, but they cannot make up quorum.
5. The Forum or its Management Committee will not be held responsible for leaflets or other media which is handed out by third parties either at or following the Forum’s meeting.  The views of any such leaflets or other communication are those of the distributor/publisher and not necessarily those of the Neighbourhood Forum.

5
2019/03093/PA
60 Ripple Road

This application was discussed at a recent meeting of Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum, where it was agreed that the application should be opposed.
Those present (residents and traders) considered that the proposed development was out of scale with neighbouring properties which are predominantly 4 person family dwellings, introducing an unacceptable increase in the population density. This would result in a loss of amenity to residents and unacceptable increase in rubbish within the area.
In addition there would be an unacceptable increase in parking in both Ripple and Twyning Roads. There is already intensive use of on street parking spaces outside this property with cars frequently blocking use of the cul de sac barrier through way for cyclists/ motor bikes. We suggest the property is viewed in the evening when off street parking is intensive.
Properties in this area are prone to flooding and, when not actually flooded, back-ups in the sewerage system are experienced. This development can only make this situation worse, putting a great strain on all utilities in the vicinity.
A development of this size and density is unacceptable in this location and is in breach of the council's HMO ADOPTED PLANNING POLICY   8.24 and 8.25.

6
2018/10368/PA
Land at Hunts Rd/Ripple Road

These comments are presented on behalf of Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum. Although we have made contact with Seven Capital on numerous occasions we have never been consulted prior to the current planning applications being made and all invitations issued by us to Seven Capital to meet with residents and businesses at meetings or events organised by the Forum have been rebuffed or ignored.
I consider that the provision of houses, which we hope will be owner occupied rather than buy to let thus contributing to a settled community, is to be welcomed. The density of housing seems high with narrow roadways and a lack of parking which is likely to cause problems. The somewhat circuitous route for cyclists and pedestrians through the site is disappointing.
Access to the site of vehicles (residents, visitors and deliveries) is problematic. The transport study has overlooked that there is no vehicle access from Cartland Road along Ripple Road (this was stopped up to prevent traffic using Twyning and Hunts Roads as rat runs when avoiding congestion at the junction of Cartland Road and Pershore Road. Taking this into account and the narrowness of both roads vehicle access to the site would be at a great cost to the health and wellbeing of residents in these roads (and also Plymouth and Hazelwell Roads). Access should be direct from Pershore Road.
I am concerned at the flood risk to those properties nearest Hazelwell Park, including through the sewerage system as happens in nearby houses.
The absence of affordable housing is to be deplored. Stirchley residents are looking to maintain a mix of housing and tenure to make a balanced and vibrant community.

7
2018/10370/PA
Land at Hazelwell Lane

These comments are presented on behalf of Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum. Although we have made contact with Seven Capital on numerous occasions we have never been consulted prior to the current planning applications being made and all invitations issued by us to Seven Capital to meet with residents and businesses at meetings or events organised by the Forum have been rebuffed or ignored.
By their own admission this application is in respect of ‘Stirchley Retail Park’ a concept which was rejected by Birmingham planners at the early stages of the Tesco applications. Within those applications (and that from Asda) there was evidence from retail experts that the nearby Coop supermarket was over trading and would not be affected by another large supermarket. The world has moved on since that time but where is the independent evidence supporting this application to analyse the current trading in Stirchley and to show the effect of the proposed development on existing businesses and future development in Stirchley?
The number of car parking spaces suggests that this development is intended to be yet another retail park that is not designed to meet the needs of the local population which would be a missed opportunity and will not meet future needs of what was once a vibrant High Street and could be again with appropriate vision, planning and investment.
Some of our residents support the inclusion of a cut price supermarket which could be a magnet to encourage local people to shop locally and draw people from a wider area. To which end car parking for up to 3 hours would enable people to park to use local facilities such as hairdressers and the range of smaller stores which have been a recent welcome addition to the High Street.
There is little if any support for a drive through anything on the site. The development will not benefit local residents and see an increase in traffic at a point where it is least needed. The Forum has long protested against any new take away establishments along the High Street due to the already high concentration. There is no doubt that, having driven through the take away, drivers will then either double back into the car park or park in side streets to consume what they have bought and then leave their rubbish behind.
There is some support for the provision of a gym on the site to support health and wellbeing in the community, but only if it is affordable for local residents and how about provision of a swimming pool?   
There are issues with pedestrian and cyclist access to and across the site and along the pavement on Pershore Road. Direct access to the cycle path and Hazelwell Park is welcomed but what is proposed will mean that both will have to dice with traffic using various parts of the car park on their way through the site. It is proposed that there will be two traffic lanes leaving the site (into a one-way street) and no traffic lights to facilitate pedestrians moving along Pershore Road and crossing the junction to access the High Street. It seems the pedestrian crossings across Pershore Road are not confirmed and it is not clear what provision will be made for residents and visitors to the houses in Pershore Road immediately opposite the development.
Stirchley United Working Mens Club is a long-standing and well-known local facility which has suffered through being at the back of a derelict site. In any new development the establishment needs to well within sight of the entrance from Pershore Road with good pedestrian, vehicle and cyclist access.
Provision of smaller units at the British Oak part of the site is welcomed, if they are to be affordable and depending on the design and impact on the Grade 2 listed British Oak public house.
Provision of public realm would be welcomed. This would provide a much-needed focus for Stirchley, providing a visible and accessible space for community events and would be welcomed by the community.


8
Police updates and information / Crime Updates
« on: May 13, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
Crime Updates
Good afternoon to you all i hope this finds you all well and enjoying the sunshine. I have some crime updates for you, there has been two theft of pedal cycles,  the first one was outside the library on Bournville Lane, an adults green and black Boardman pedal cycle has been stolen by cutting of the lock, there were two children's pedal cycles also locked up with the adults bike but these have not been taken just left at the location. Also there was a theft of pedal cycle in Barn Close, a shed that was locked and secure has been broken in to and a cycle taken, the cycle was not locked just the shed. Along with these two thefts there was a theft from motor vehicle, in Bournville Lane an Audi A1 has been broken in to and property has been taken from the boot.

Crime prevention advice, one of the best types of pedal cycle locks is a D-lock they may be a little more expensive to buy but are difficult to remove, some of the cheaper locks look good but can be cut through very easily. I know locking your shed with the bike inside seems fine but it helps prevent theft if there is a lock on the bike as well.
If you have any information regarding these offences please contact the police on 101 or you can contact me using this system, as always should you prefer to contact me by e-mail the address is p.blackford@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk

Message Sent By
Paul Blackford (Police, PCSO, Selly Oak)

9
Police updates and information / Crime Updates
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
Crime Update
Good afternoon to you all i hope you are enjoying the sun after all the rain, i have some crime updates for you. There has been two theft from motor vehicle, one in Ford house Lane a Kia Rio front passenger window has been smashed and items have been taken no details on the stolen items, the other one was in Thorn Road a VW Golf locked and secure has been broken in to by means unknown and glasses a jacket and some loose change has been taken. If you have any information regarding these offences please contact the police on 101 or you can contact me using this  system, alternatively you can contact me by e-mail the address as always is p.blackford@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk 

Message Sent By
Paul Blackford (Police, PCSO, Selly Oak)

10
Police updates and information / Crime Updates
« on: May 11, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »
Crime Updates
Good afternoon to the residents of the Bournville ward, i have some crime up-dates for you. Over the last two days there have been three burglaries, two in Mary Vale Road both shed breaks offender(s)  have forced entry to the sheds before stealing items within no further details of items stolen, the other one was in Greenoak Crescent, males  have been seen going to the rear of a property, police have attended and the rear door has been lock-snapped and males have been arrested at the location. There has also been two theft from motor vehicle, one in Ashmore Road the spare wheel has been stolen from a Mercedes van by cutting the cable holding it in place, the other one was in Tezal avenue the grill and headlights have been stolen from a VW camper van.
Please think about fitting anti-snap locks to you doors to help prevent burglary. If you have any information regarding these offences please call the police on 101 or contact me using this system, as always my e-mail address is p.blackford@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk   
 

Message Sent By
Paul Blackford (Police, PCSO, Selly Oak)

11
Community News
 
"Officers have today arrested two persons from the derelict Firework shop after officers found them in there. They have been arrested for a variety of offences, however, unfortunately, as they have just come into custody, we are unable to give too many details as we need the investigation process to progress. What we will say though is that local information tells us that these arrested persons have been seen in the local area in recent weeks and officers are working through reports, investigating them to try to reach a positive conclusion following positive action today.
 
Your local neighbourhood officers are also currently working with partners to try to sort/restrict the access to this building but as the building is privately owned this can be a somewhat problematic and time consuming process. We are trying though and would ask if anyone is seen entering this building, to please let us know. We would also ask if we could encourage local persons/parents to watch out for any children entering the premises as we really would not like them playing in there. This is not said to cause alarm but simply as the building is in quite a hazardous state inside.
 
As always, we thank you for your continued support, co-operation and information. If you do have any matters that you wish to contact us about, please feel free to do so our team email: Bournville@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk
 
Many thanks.
 
Kindest regards
 
PCSO Paul Blackford and Bournville Neighbourhood Team. "
 
PS 2042 Sam Bonehill
Bournville Neighbourhood Sergeant
Selly Oak Constituency

12
Police updates and information / Crime Updates
« on: May 09, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
Crime Updates
Good morning to you all i hope this message finds you well, i have some crime up-dates for you. There has been one  attempted burglary in Dads Lane, offender(s) have gone to the rear of the property and have used a slab to smash the window 4ft by 4ft in size, the outer part of the double glazed window has been broken however the inner part has remained in tact no entry gained to the property. Also two theft of motor vehicle to report, one in Dell Road a black Audi A4 has been stolen by unknown means, the other one was in Beilby Road, a Ford Transit pick-up has been stolen by unknown means. Please think about buying a disk lock for your vehicles as they do help prevent vehicle theft. If you have any information regarding these offences please contact the police on 101 or you can contact me on this system, alternatively you can contact me by e-mail at p.blackford@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk 

Message Sent By
Paul Blackford (Police, PCSO, Selly Oak)

13
Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum
Minutes of the meeting held on 8th April 2019
, Stirchley Community Church
Present:   37: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Members of the Forum’s management committee, Cllr Locke
Apologies:   3
Peter Walker took the chair and welcomed everyone to the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on 11th March 2019 were circulated and agreed as a true record.
Policing update
PCSO Paul Blackford updated the Forum on recent activity. 
Break-in of Stirchley Baths lock-up: 10 bicycles with a value of £3,600 were stolen; most have now been recovered. CCTV footage shows 2 lads stealing the bikes 2 at a time.
Burglaries and car thefts: burglaries are still down on previous months, though car keys remain the usual target. A resident of Hazelwell Fordrough witnessed the theft of their Land Rover from outside their property; having been awoken by the sound of the car alarm and breaking glass the owner was shouted at by the perpetrators not to come out of the house. 
A male has been arrested for burglary on the former Selly Oak hospital site.
Thefts from motor vehicles: PCSO Blackford reminded drivers to remove dash cams and wipe away any sign of the suction mount from windscreens; in recent days there has been a spate of thefts of dashcams by smashing car windows. 
Shed burglaries: following an increase in shed break-ins, residents were reminded to keep sheds locked securely. There have been reports of tools being offered for sale in local pubs.
Police numbers: police officers have been drafted to the city centre for late shifts leaving only PCSOs on duty locally.
Illegal parking: Cllr Locke reported cars parked on the footpath outside Enterprise; management were very unhelpful when the issue was raised with them. WMP will look to issue tickets.   
Drugs use on Sparrey Drive: PCSOs have requested BCC clear up discarded needles in the woodland.
Policing 20 mph zones: PCSOs are carrying out pro-laser speedchecks and issuing tickets when time allows. Local residents are still dissatisfied with the limited 20mph signage; WMP have raised the issue with BCC who have additional signage but no resources to install it. WM Fire have agreed to install the signs. It was suggested billboards should be used to advertise the new lower speed limits.
A community Speedwatch is planned for Umberslade Rd on 25/04 from 3 to 5.00 pm. A resident questioned the value of such exercises as no tickets will be issued; instead offenders will be pulled over and spoken to by WM Fire. PCSO Blackford explained there was considerable public support for these exercises, and added WMP would rather educate drivers than issue tickets. Residents raised other concerns including higher levels of pollution and being overtaken by drivers unwilling to stick to the new speed limits. 
Cllr Locke announced Cllr Waseem Zaffir, BCC Cabinet Member for Transport and Environment,  is due to attend the June Stirchley ward meeting. PCSO Blackford suggested they should also attend a Forum meeting; SC proposed inviting him to the June meeting.
Streetwatch: 5 people have signed up so far, 2 in Stirchley. A minimum of 2 people is required for patrols. PW will send out details of how to join.
WMP updates: SC requested some more good news updates; PCSO Blackford explained these were often shared via Twitter. 
Planning update      
Petrol station on Breedon Hill: application for new illuminated signage. 
Seven Capital: no further information.
HMOs: Barry Toon from the Selly Oak residents’ group is attending next month’s Forum to talk about issues around HMOs; SC asked members to think about what they might like to ask Barry in order to make the most of the meeting. The following suggestions were made: minimum standards for HMOs, quotas for HMOs in an area, enforcement action, how to effectively oppose HMOs.
SC was unsure whether the planning permission for the new housing on the corner of Mary Vale Rd stipulated residents were to be full time students. Cllr Locke raised concerns about a reduction in student numbers after Brexit.
Forum planning policies: SC explained the Forum has previously adopted policies such as no new advertising hoardings, limits on HMOs and the preservation of family homes. Another policy is no new takeaways or cafes; SC suggested this policy may no longer be representative of local opinion, as there was considerable support for the many new eateries and bars that have opened up in recent years. SC questioned whether all Forum planning policies should be reviewed and proposed timetabling a discussion in either July or September. Some residents expressed a preference for cafes over empty units; other noted they did little for daytime footfall. 
AOB      
Tesco 106 monies: a resident questioned the decision to appoint Stirchley The Way Forward to administer the remaining funds; they suggested this would mean the benefits were going to local traders rather than the local community. Cllr Locke explained the process by which STWF were selected by BCC Planning; she added there may be further monies coming to Stirchley through the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) on future developments. She suggested there may also be some Tesco 106 monies remaining once STWF have carried out their plans.  A local resident questioned the proposal to install outdoor gym equipment in a local Park as the Friends of Stirchley Park have not been involved in any consultation. Cllr Locke explained no decision had been made as to where to install any equipment. SC suggested there was more flexibility with CIL payments and that local residents needed to tell Cllr Locke where they would like future funds to be spent. One resident suggested the former Firework shop should be improved, as it was a prominent gateway to the village.
Stirchley Baths café: following the departure of Change Kitchen before Christmas, there are now plans to train volunteers to run a community café. In response to a question about shared use of the dishwasher by clubs based in the library, Cllr Locke suggested getting in touch with Karen Cheney.
Dementia-friendly Stirchley: SC and MJ attended a meeting about making Stirchley Birmingham’s 1st dementia friendly community; SC noted cashless businesses could be a problem for people with dementia. PA announced a project to crochet or knit forget-me-not squares for Dementia Action Week from 20th to 26th May.
Dad’s Lane Community Association: Cllr Locke and SC attended the meeting about the future of the association; there was agreement from those who attended that there was still need for a community facility, but new energy and direction was required as the existing members were now in their early 80s. Another meeting is planned for those interested in joining a management committee: a treasurer is required. Karen Cheney is overseeing the process. SC proposed the Forum should be supportive of the drive to reinvigorate the association as it provided another local community venue. In response to a question about its financial visibility, SC explained it currently operated at a loss.   
Bournville Lane bridge and flooding: Cllr Locke has arranged a meeting with council officers and local residents on May 7th. SC requested the Forum is involved as the flooding also affects rail travellers. 
Hampton Works: this locally listed building is for sale; SC suggested that at most the listing may prevent it from being demolished.
Upcoming events
Thursday 11th April, Stirchley History Group talk on medieval Birmingham in Stirchley Baths. SC noted the group had now outgrown the Deep End room at the Baths and was looking for a larger venue. St Andrews and Stirchley Library were both suggested.
Friday 12th April, 11.00 am – 12.30 pm litter pick and graffiti removal organised by Cllr Locke
Date of the next meeting
Monday 13th May, 7.30 pm in Stirchley Community Church



Disclaimer notice on behalf of the Stirchley Neighbourhood Forum Management Committee
1. The Management Committee does not normally have prior knowledge of items which will be raised as Any Other Business, but the Management Committee will help facilitate such items where it does have prior knowledge, and which are in the interests of Stirchley.
2. The Forum is not aligned to any political party or one group and hence will hold a neutral stance in all political items which are raised at the meetings; the Forum may take a stance (positive/negative) on planning applications discussed at the meeting or on changes to community/neighbourhood services which affect the Forum area
3. The Forum’s Management Committee will not allow a person or organisation to use the Forum’s meeting as a means to any political end.
4. All residents and businesses within the Forum’s area have the right to attend and speak at the meeting.  Business owners, not resident within the forum area, have a right to attend and speak at SNF meetings, but they cannot make up quorum.
5. The Forum or its Management Committee will not be held responsible for leaflets or other media which is handed out by third parties either at or following the Forum’s meeting.  The views of any such leaflets or other communication are those of the distributor/publisher and not necessarily those of the Neighbourhood Forum.

14
Police updates and information / community Message
« on: May 05, 2019, 07:44:24 AM »
Community Message


More

*Car theft alert* Sadly, several cars have being broken into overnight + dash cams on display stolen. Pineapple estate has featured prominently. Patrols in the ward also reveal *many* dash cams in sight. Please can we ask that you take dash cams/sat navs out of your car overnight to avoid theft. We know that this can be inconvenient but we do appear to have an opportunistic offender(s) and we wish to remove anything that may encourage a potential thief to break into a car.

 

At this moment in time, enquiries are on going and patrols around the area will be targeted however can we please ask our residents to remain vigilant and contact us if they see any suspicious persons. We would also ask if residents could call us if they suspect a person is trying to sell stolen goods (they may be unboxed, without leads etc).

 

We will continue to work on this matter but in the meantime, if we can ask you to remove any valuables from your cars, this may help reduce the chance of your car being broken into.

 

As always, if you suspect crime or have any information, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always stronger working together.

 

Many thanks

 

Kindest regards

 

The Bournville Neighbourhood Team
 
PS 2042 Sam Bonehill
Bournville Neighbourhood Sergeant
Selly Oak Constituency
Bournville Police Station
341 Bournville Lane
Bournville
Birmingham
B30 1QX
Tel - 101 or 0345 113 5000  ext. 8223030
Email s.bonehill@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk
 
"Preventing crime, protecting the public and helping those in need."

Message Sent By
Paul Blackford (Police, PCSO, Selly Oak)

15
Police updates and information / Crime updates 2/2
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:05:02 PM »
Crime Update

This message follows on from the last one, there has also been three theft from motor vehicle, one in Hazelwell Crescent window smashed on a vehicle and dash cam has been stolen no vehicle details, the next one was an  insecure ford Zetec door opened and items taken from the vehicle, and one in Newent Road, the front number plate has been stolen.

Crime prevention advice please do not leave items of value on display, remove all holders /cradles in relation to Sat Nav and Dash Cams. For number plates please think about having anti theft screws fitted to prevent number plate theft.

If you have any information regarding these offences please contact the police on 101 or you can contact me using this system, alternatively my e-mail address is p.blackford@west-midlands.pnn.police.uk 
Message Sent By
Paul Blackford (Police, PCSO, Selly Oak)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5